Table of Contents
- POP design for hall: Why use POP design for false ceiling?
- POP design for hall: How to choose a design for your living room?
- False POP ceiling design catalogue for your living room
- POP design for living room 2022
- POP design for bedroom
- POP Designs on Walls
- Accent Walls using POP Designs
- Popular POP ceiling designs for living room in 2021
- POP ceiling designs for small living room
- POP ceiling designs for living room with two fans
- Single and double layered POP ceiling design
- Simple pop ceiling design for hall 2021
- Advantages and disadvantages of POP false ceilings
- Trending false ceiling design ideas
- Benefits of POP false ceilings
- How to choose POP false ceiling colours for the drawing room
- POP design for pooja room
- POP for bathrooms
- POP design for bedroom
- Colour combinations for POP false ceiling
- How to choose ceiling paint colours
- Cost of POP false ceiling
- How long does POP false ceiling last?
- Things to know before getting a POP false ceiling done
- Precautions to take during POP false ceiling installation
- Maintain POP ceiling with regular cleaning
Whether it is the living room, bedroom, dining room or any other part of the house, false POP ceilings can be used to cover the plain ceilings or to conceal centralised air-conditioning systems. From modern to intricate traditional designs, false ceilings can be customised in different colours, shapes and sizes, to make your living room look grand and opulent. Here’s a guide to installing plaster of Paris (POP) ceilings in your living rooms and a POP ceiling design catalogue for your help. Also, check out the latest POP designs and images for hall in 2021 and 2022.
POP design for hall: Why use POP design for false ceiling?
Plaster of Paris false ceilings are very durable and can sustain for years without any wear or tear. The POP is available in powdered form and the paste is made by adding water to it. The ceiling design is made, by applying the POP to a mesh for it to stay afloat. Also, POP is more cost effective than gypsum boards. However, you need to hire a professional to install a POP ceiling to get the finesse. POP ceilings also take more time for installation, as it has to be perfectly dry for it to be installed. You can opt for simple POP designs for living rooms, which are easier to install, or choose a modern,
intricate one if you want to add style to you space.
First, before considering a POP false ceiling, check if the height from the floor to ceiling slab level is high enough to accommodate a false ceiling. The lighting layout needs to be finalised in advance as it determines the design of the false ceiling
POP design for hall: How to choose a design for your living room?
- When choosing ceiling designs for the living room, you can select innovative designs with a combination of shapes and lights, instead of a simple one. However, if you have a combined drawing room and dining room, opt for a design which is aesthetic and has proper lighting.
- Make proper arrangements for lighting up the false ceiling in the living room. You can use energy-efficient LED lights that match the ceiling concept. LED recessed lighting works very well on POP ceilings. Else, you can also experiment and opt for grand chandeliers or hanging lamps with the drawing room ceiling design, to make your space look more elegant and beautiful. For POP false ceiling opt for cove or flush-mount lighting, depending on the POP design.
- While white is the most common colour for drawing room ceiling design, you can use other bright shades to make your room appear bigger. You can experiment with beige and yellow shades, for a royal look. You can add texture to your drawing room ceiling design, such as a wooden finish or rustic or metallic ones, for a modern look.
- There is no reason for you to stick to rectangular and square designs for your ceiling. When it comes to down ceiling design for drawing room and other living spaces, there are innovative designs to give a dramatic effect.
- Curves, arcs and circles are trendy and you can design a new look with these down ceiling designs for drawing room area. This is a good idea to break the symmetry and give your home a modern vibe. You can also use these shapes, in contrast to other elements used in décor.
See also: POP design for roof
False POP ceiling design catalogue for your living room
POP ceilings can also be used to add an extra layer of insulation in your living room. If you want to give a warm look to your room, you can choose LED lights in the false ceiling. If you have a modest budget to invest on the false ceiling, you can choose simple POP designs for living room, which are easy to install, good to look at and add a minimalist look to your room.
Suspended ceilings are best, when you want to optimise the space and hide electrical cables.
Another benefit of using Plaster of Paris ceiling is that you can use molds and shapes like circles, trays, layers, squares, etc. Apart from this, it is very easy to add any design to the POP false ceiling after finishing the installation process, to re-decorate or modify the installed design.
See also: Latest ideas for false ceiling design for hall
POP design for living room 2022
Panelled POP design is the latest false ceiling trend for contemporary homes. The use of LED light fixtures in coved ceiling is a design that continues to rule this year. You can create a perfect ambience for your house by opting for lights with unique designs and colours. Neon lights has become a favourite among homeowners. Quirky POP designs for the living room ceiling is another option to make a unique statement. If you prefer a classic look, then go for geometric patterns or a simple coffered look.
POP design for bedroom
False ceiling with wood panels is growing in popularity. Wood brings a luxurious touch to the room. Enhance the look with contemporary light fixtures on the ceiling like a statement chandelier. Further, there are various patterns you can experiment with this false ceiling design, to personalise the space. Here is an elegant POP design for roof.
POP Designs on Walls
Add a sense of timeless charm by using hand-plastered mound forms on the walls.
You can add skirting boards and die rails from POP. Top it up with a cornice board on the wall-ceiling joint for added effect.
See also: POP design latest trends in 2022
Accent Walls using POP Designs
POP is a flexible material. Have a detailed wall pattern or have a custom-made piece. This material works well with intricate as well as bold patterns. You can also use a single colour or two tones on the design, depending on the décor of your home.
POP is easy to paint on, either leave it exposed for a raw look or cover with oil or enamel paint.
Popular POP ceiling designs for living room in 2021
Home owners are, nowadays, thinking beyond the basic POP ceiling designs for the wall. Instead of having the centre element plain and simple, adding light fixtures can illuminate the room, while enhancing the décor quotient. This design is perfect for small living rooms. Another design that is quite popular is a POP ceiling with a hollow T-bar added in the centre. The open space can be used to install coloured lights or textured finishes. The latest trend, is to combine Plaster of Paris with wood for the false ceiling, for a classic look. The two ends of the ceiling are indented POP mouldings and the space in between is covered with a wood panel. POP ceiling along with frosted glass, stained glass, etc., is also in demand, as it gives an elegant effect, once the glass panel is illuminated from behind and the room is filled with a soft glow.
Also read: How to use Thermocol sheet for roof
POP ceiling designs for small living room
For small apartments that have a combined living-cum-dining space, it is easy to create a demarcation by choosing different POP ceiling designs.
When installing down ceiling design for drawing room, you can go for interesting colour schemes and patterns, to make the space appear bigger and spacious. You can opt for a darker ceiling colour that gives an illusion of height.
When it comes to POP design patterns, you can pick from numerous shapes and geometrical patterns, such as oval or circles, which are ideal for small living spaces. When it comes to lighting, use a combination of spot fixtures and cove lighting that work best for such areas.
POP ceiling designs for living room with two fans
A POP ceiling can be designed in various ways, if the living room has two fans. You can design two false ceilings with space to install the fan in each one. If it is a huge living room then, it is best is to combine the fans with a chandelier in between for an opulent effect. One can also go in for a floral pattern designed ceiling with POP circular frames for two fans and lights.
Single and double layered POP ceiling design
POP ceiling designs can be single or double-layered. A single-layered ceiling comes as a single layer beneath the original ceiling. It is recommended for small living rooms, as the design is minimal. A double-layered POP false ceiling adds to the visual allure in a spacious living room with high ceiling. A double layer gives one space to play with colours, patterns and lighting, to make the false ceiling spectacular.
Simple pop ceiling design for hall 2021
Here are some simple false ceiling designs for the drawing room areas that look elegant and are currently in trend.
Coffered false ceiling
A coffered false ceiling adds a style statement that is just unmatched when compared to other POP ceiling designs. It lends a rich to an ordinary hall and comes in varied design patterns. It mainly involves a partitioned ceiling design and can also include a dual colour theme.
Multi-layered POP ceiling height
Incorporate the POP ceiling design to create a contrast by layering it with panels of varying heights. It will give a dramatic effect to the room. The dual height POP design for the hall also provides scope for adding suitable lighting and colour while enhancing the grandeur of a spacious living room.
POP design with Tray Look
You can pick a simple pop design for roof with a tray look as shown here. You can also add more effects and enhance the décor quotient with a layered tray false ceiling. Install recessed lighting and use other design elements for the wall to bring a contemporary look.
Textured POP design
Choose a textured POP design for the roof and you will have a plethora of design choices. This false ceiling design is suitable for the drawing room and bedrooms. You can even pick this to design an accent wall.
Abstract POP designs
A simple pop design with abstract designs can add enhance the look of your living room. The material allows you to achieve any design of your choice with ease.
Advantages and disadvantages of POP false ceilings
|False ceilings are great for living rooms, as it adds an additional layer which creates better acoustics within a room.||False ceilings require extreme precision in design and installation and must be done by experts only. For specific applications, one must have access to skilled labour especially for an ornamental design, ceiling cornices, etc.). The labour cost goes up.|
|A false ceiling is a perfect place to hide messy wires. You can also fit recessed lighting, without worrying about fixtures.||False ceilings should be at least 8 inches away from the original ceiling wall. Therefore, for compact homes with low-ceiling rooms, it is not feasible.|
|False ceilings can restore proportions in the room where vertical spaces dwarfs the furniture.||False ceilings may make the room look cramped. Hence, the room’s height should be at least 11 ft, to get false ceilings done. A POP ceiling will lower the height of your room by several inches.|
|False ceilings insulate the room as it traps air and keeps the room cooler. It also optimises the functioning of the air-conditioner, as it reduces the total space that has to be cooled.|
Trending false ceiling design ideas
- Minimalist: An ordinary false ceiling design can look extraordinarily elegant, because of its simplicity. It lends a modern look but can even blend perfectly with traditional décor.
- Light-highlighted: If you want to experiment with lights, then, POP false ceilings are a perfect choice. The POP false ceiling that runs close to the wall is built for light fixtures, giving the space a serene makeover by creating a soft glow.
- Hanging ceiling: This is one of the trendiest false ceiling ideas in which suspended ceilings made of POP are complemented by wood. This adds richness to the space. In addition to this, pendant lamps hanging from the wooden part of the ceiling and spotlights fixed on the POP can control the intensity of light in the room.
- Patterned ceiling: You can choose any kind of artistic display, from intersecting lines to an interesting pattern on the ceiling. Combined with lights, the pattern will further elevate the beauty of the false ceiling design.
Benefits of POP false ceilings
- False ceiling can be used for uniform light distribution in the entire room, through ceiling lights.
- False ceilings can act as an important element that you can use to express your style.
- Unlike a regular ceiling, false ceiling designs can be easily customised, as per the room’s size and lighting requirements.
- You can experiment with different colours and shades on the ceiling to make your space look bigger. They can be coloured along with any other painting work.
How to choose POP false ceiling colours for the drawing room
There is a range of colours to choose from, when it comes to false ceilings. Here are some of the options available, as per the size and dynamics of the room:
- Using lighter shades for the false ceiling, than those on the walls, can make the roof seem higher, in turn making the room look larger than it is.
- If the room is filled with bright colours or has a lot of elements, such as furniture, paint, décor and upholstery, then, the ideal thing to do, is to opt for a white shade for the ceiling.
- Dark colours, such as charcoal greys, navy blue or chocolate-brown, are ideal for rooms with white walls, as they can create a dramatic contrast.
- When installing a false ceiling, you can also use the same colour on the walls and the roof. However, the choice of colours selected, should depend on the size of the room.
POP design for pooja room
A pooja room can be made extra special with a POP ceiling. Design a Swastika, Omkara or other spiritual symbol engraved in POP to enhance the space.
POP for bathrooms
If you live on the top-most floor, take advantage of your ceiling.
If there are no other floors above your flat, try an exposed ceiling. The main roof can be created with Plaster of Paris, leaving a hollow centre. Add a glass to the hollow portion, it serves a dual purpose – brings in natural lighting making it a wonderful experience.
POP design for bedroom
There are a variety of POP designs for bedrooms. Ideally, POP ceilings are widely used for the bedroom space to lend an impressive look to the interiors. You can get a customised POP design for your room and enhance it with LED lighting. Alternately, you can include a central POP design and decorate it with a stylish chandelier.
Colour combinations for POP false ceiling
There are a number of shades you can experiment with, to make your POP false ceiling look different and in-sync with the rest of your home. Here are some of the trendy colour combinations for 2021, which you can try if you are planning to install a POP ceiling at your home:
- For warm and cosy ambience: Mustard yellow and white.
- For a quirky design: A pop of orange, purple, red or yellow. These colours may not be distinctly visible but the lighting will bring out the bright shades.
- For white walls and neutral interiors: Turquoise.
- For accentuating the walls: Crown moulding with brown or any dark shade.
- For a classic look: Opt for ebony or ivory colours.
How to choose ceiling paint colours
Follow these guidelines, before finalising ceiling colours for your home:
- Ceiling colours enhance the room’s essence. However, do not overdo it and instead, keep it simple in areas where redoing is not possible.
- When deciding colours for the drawing room ceiling design, make sure it does not look overwhelming. A white ceiling colour will push the focus towards the walls and furnishings. Hence, if you are opting for bold wall colours, make sure you use white on the ceiling.
- If you are putting pale colours on the walls, the white ceiling can make the room appear bigger and illuminated.
- If you want a contrasting effect, you can apply a dark tone to the ceiling and use a glossy version of the same colour on it. While the glaze will soften the dramatic effect, the sheen will reflect the light from the surface.
- If you want to apply the same hue to the walls and ceilings, understand that this will make your room look smaller and restful. This is ideal for bedrooms and bathrooms.
Cost of POP false ceiling
|Type of ceiling||Average cost|
|Gypsum false ceiling||Rs 50-150 per sq ft|
|POP false ceiling||Rs 50-150 per sq ft|
|Wooden false ceiling||Rs 80-650 per sq ft|
How long does POP false ceiling last?
POP false ceilings are usually very durable. However, it depends on the material used. High-quality POP false ceilings can last beyond 20 years, whereas low-quality POP false ceilings will start showing cracks and cavities in five to six years. Therefore, if you are investing in a POP ceiling, make sure your contractors use high-quality POP material only.
Things to know before getting a POP false ceiling done
- Try getting the ceiling done before you move into the new house. If you are remodeling your house and want to add a false ceiling to your existing decor, hire professionals who can finish the task as early as possible. This is because POP (Plaster of Paris) can create a lot of mess and could put you off from getting a ceiling done.
- Some ceilings require more headroom than others. So, before you begin the installation, get the height checked. Also, be prepared to add or decrease a few inches of height as the POP sheets require some space, as well.
- If you want to build a false ceiling in your living room, check if you want to cover the entire surface or just near the light fittings. This will help you in planning your budget efficiently.
Precautions to take during POP false ceiling installation
Property owners should be mindful of several precautions to be taken, during the installation process. This will help them in managing and maintaining the ceiling at later stages.
- Home owners should make sure that the ceiling is not prone to leakage.
- Use POP from good and well-known brands only, so that it does not crack during the procedure.
- Consider the suitability of a certain consistency of POP for the space it is being installed in.
- Opt for a thickness of around 10-12 mm. Anything less than that would be prone to damage.
- Remember, the POP should be completely dry before installing it.
- Place all the electrical wires inside a pipe to avoid accidental fires.
Maintain POP ceiling with regular cleaning
Always make it a point to dust and wipe clean the POP ceiling at regular intervals. The easiest way to clean the POP ceiling is to use a duster or a feather duster or use a vacuum cleaner.
Which is better for ceiling - POP or gypsum?
POP is more durable and more affordable than gypsum.
How much does POP ceiling cost?
POP false ceiling rates start from Rs 40 per sq ft and may go up to Rs 95 or even more, in some cases.
Is false ceiling expensive?
Depending upon the material used, false ceiling can be an affordable and ideal way to add an extra layer of insulation.
POP plus minus design refers to a decorative design with added protrusions or tucked in bits in a regular false ceiling made of POP.
What should one keep in mind when selecting living room lights for POP false ceiling?
Consider the functional aspect of the light along with mood lighting. The lights should make the living room welcoming and relaxing. Also, the dining space can be made impressive with hanging pendant lights or lamps, which focus on the table and not on one's face. Always opt for a dimmer option to change the brightness as per the need.
Can one extend the POP ceiling design till the living room wall?
Yes, POP false ceiling designs can extend till the wall. It can add an exquisite appeal to the TV unit wall or one can have attractive POP niches designed for artifacts. One can use a pattern that is similar to the ceiling or select other fancy designs.
(With additional inputs from Surbhi Gupta and Purnima Goswami Sharma)