Table of Contents
- Why use POP for false ceiling?
- How to choose a POP ceiling design for the living room?
- False POP ceiling design catalogue for your living room
- Advantages and disadvantages of POP false ceilings
- Trending false ceiling design ideas
- Benefits of POP false ceilings
- How to choose POP false ceiling colours for the drawing room
- Colour combinations for POP false ceiling
- How to choose ceiling paint colours
- Cost of POP false ceiling
- Things to know before getting a POP false ceiling done
- Precautions to take during POP false ceiling installation
Whether it is the living room, bedroom, dining room or any other part of the house, false POP ceilings can be used to cover the plain ceilings or to conceal centralised air-conditioning systems. From modern to intricate traditional designs, false ceilings can be customised in different colours, shapes and sizes, to make your living room look grand and opulent. Here’s a guide to installing plaster of Paris (POP) ceilings in your living rooms and a
POP ceiling design catalogue for your help.
Why use POP for false ceiling?
Plaster of Paris false ceilings are very durable and can sustain for years without any wear or tear. The POP is available in powdered form and the paste is made by adding water to it. The ceiling design is made, by applying the POP to a mesh for it to stay afloat. Also, POP is more cost effective than gypsum boards. However, you need to hire a professional to install a POP ceiling to get the finesse. POP ceilings also take more time for installation, as it has to be perfectly dry for it to be installed. You can opt for simple POP designs for living rooms, which are easier to install, or choose a modern,
intricate one if you want to add style to you space.
How to choose a POP ceiling design for the living room?
- When choosing ceiling designs for the living room, you can select innovative designs with a combination of shapes and lights, instead of a simple one. However, if you have a combined drawing room and dining room, opt for a design which is aesthetic and has proper lighting.
- Make proper arrangements for lighting up the false ceiling in the living room. You can use energy-efficient LED lights that match the ceiling concept. Else, you can also experiment and opt for grand chandeliers or hanging lamps, to make your space look more elegant and beautiful.
- While white is the most common colour, you can use other bright shades to make your room appear bigger. You can experiment with beige and yellow shades, for a royal look. You can add texture to your ceiling, such as a wooden finish or rustic or metallic ones, for a modern look.
- There is no reason for you to stick to rectangular and square designs for your ceiling. Curves, arcs and circles are trendy and you can design a new look with these designs. This is a good idea to break the symmetry and give your home a modern vibe. You can also use these shapes, in contrast to other elements used in décor.
False POP ceiling design catalogue for your living room
POP ceilings can also be used to add an extra layer of insulation in your living room. If you want to give a warm look to your room, you can choose LED lights in the false ceiling. If you have a modest budget to invest on the false ceiling, you can choose simple POP designs for living room, which are easy to install, good to look at and add a minimalist look to your room.
Suspended ceilings are best, when you want to optimise the space and hide electrical cables.
Another benefit of using Plaster of Paris ceiling is that you can use molds and shapes like circles, trays, layers, squares, etc. Apart from this, it is very easy to add any design to the POP false ceiling after finishing the installation process, to re-decorate or modify the installed design.
Advantages and disadvantages of POP false ceilings
|False ceilings are great for living rooms, as it adds an additional layer which creates better acoustics within a room.||False ceilings require extreme precision in design and installation and must be done by experts only.|
|A false ceiling is a perfect place to hide messy wires. You can also fit recessed lighting, without worrying about fixtures.||False ceilings should be at least 8 inches away from the original ceiling wall. Therefore, for compact homes with low-ceiling rooms, it is not feasible.|
|False ceilings can restore proportions in the room where vertical spaces dwarfs the furniture.||False ceilings may make the room look cramped. Hence, the room’s height should be at least 11 ft, to get false ceilings done.|
|False ceilings insulate the room as it traps air and keeps the room cooler. It also optimises the functioning of the air-conditioner, as it reduces the total space that has to be cooled.|
Trending false ceiling design ideas
- Minimalist: An ordinary false ceiling design can look extraordinarily elegant, because of its simplicity. It lends a modern look but can even blend perfectly with traditional décor.
- Light-highlighted: If you want to experiment with lights, then, POP false ceilings are a perfect choice. The POP false ceiling that runs close to the wall is built for light fixtures, giving the space a serene makeover by creating a soft glow.
- Hanging ceiling: This is one of the trendiest false ceiling ideas in which suspended ceilings made of POP are complemented by wood. This adds richness to the space. In addition to this, pendant lamps hanging from the wooden part of the ceiling and spotlights fixed on the POP can control the intensity of light in the room.
- Patterned ceiling: You can choose any kind of artistic display, from intersecting lines to an interesting pattern on the ceiling. Combined with lights, the pattern will further elevate the beauty of the false ceiling design.
Benefits of POP false ceilings
- False ceiling can be used for uniform light distribution in the entire room, through ceiling lights.
- False ceilings can act as an important element that you can use to express your style.
- Unlike a regular ceiling, false ceiling designs can be easily customised, as per the room’s size and lighting requirements.
- You can experiment with different colours and shades on the ceiling to make your space look bigger. They can be coloured along with any other painting work.
How to choose POP false ceiling colours for the drawing room
There is a range of colours to choose from, when it comes to false ceilings. Here are some of the options available, as per the size and dynamics of the room:
- Using lighter shades for the false ceiling, than those on the walls, can make the roof seem higher, in turn making the room look larger than it is.
- If the room is filled with bright colours or has a lot of elements, such as furniture, paint, décor and upholstery, then, the ideal thing to do, is to opt for a white shade for the ceiling.
- Dark colours, such as charcoal greys, navy blue or chocolate-brown, are ideal for rooms with white walls, as they can create a dramatic contrast.
- When installing a false ceiling, you can also use the same colour on the walls and the roof. However, the choice of colours selected, should depend on the size of the room.
Colour combinations for POP false ceiling
There are a number of shades you can experiment with, to make your POP false ceiling look different and in-sync with the rest of your home. Here are some of the trendy colour combinations for 2021, which you can try if you are planning to install a POP ceiling at your home:
- For warm and cosy ambience: Mustard yellow and white.
- For a quirky design: A pop of orange, purple, red or yellow. These colours may not be distinctly visible but the lighting will bring out the bright shades.
- For white walls and neutral interiors: Turquoise.
- For accentuating the walls: Crown moulding with brown or any dark shade.
- For a classic look: Opt for ebony or ivory colours.
How to choose ceiling paint colours
Follow these guidelines, before finalising ceiling colours for your home:
- Ceiling colours enhance the room’s essence. However, do not overdo it and instead, keep it simple in areas where redoing is not possible.
- A white ceiling colour will push the focus towards the walls and furnishings. Hence, if you are opting for bold wall colours, make sure you use white on the ceiling.
- If you are putting pale colours on the walls, the white ceiling can make the room appear bigger and illuminated.
- If you want a contrasting effect, you can apply a dark tone to the ceiling and use a glossy version of the same colour on it. While the glaze will soften the dramatic effect, the sheen will reflect the light from the surface.
- If you want to apply the same hue to the walls and ceilings, understand that this will make your room look smaller and restful. This is ideal for bedrooms and bathrooms.
Cost of POP false ceiling
|Type of ceiling||Average cost|
|Gypsum false ceiling||Rs 50-150 per sq ft|
|POP false ceiling||Rs 50-150 per sq ft|
|Wooden false ceiling||Rs 80-650 per sq ft|
Things to know before getting a POP false ceiling done
- Try getting the ceiling done before you move into the new house. If you are remodeling your house and want to add a false ceiling to your existing decor, hire professionals who can finish the task as early as possible. This is because POP (Plaster of Paris) can create a lot of mess and could put you off from getting a ceiling done.
- Some ceilings require more headroom than others. So, before you begin the installation, get the height checked. Also, be prepared to add or decrease a few inches of height as the POP sheets require some space, as well.
- If you want to build a false ceiling in your living room, check if you want to cover the entire surface or just near the light fittings. This will help you in planning your budget efficiently.
Precautions to take during POP false ceiling installation
Property owners should be mindful of several precautions to be taken, during the installation process. This will help them in managing and maintaining the ceiling at later stages.
- Home owners should make sure that the ceiling is not prone to leakage.
- Use POP from good and well-known brands only, so that it does not crack during the procedure.
- Consider the suitability of a certain consistency of POP for the space it is being installed in.
- Opt for a thickness of around 10-12 mm. Anything less than that would be prone to damage.
- Remember, the POP should be completely dry before installing it.
- Place all the electrical wires inside a pipe to avoid accidental fires.
Which is better for ceiling - POP or gypsum?
POP is more durable and more affordable than gypsum.
How much does POP ceiling cost?
POP false ceiling rates start from Rs 40 per sq ft and may go up to Rs 95 or even more, in some cases.
Is false ceiling expensive?
Depending upon the material used, false ceiling can be an affordable and ideal way to add an extra layer of insulation.