Ambattur is a locality situated in western Chennai under the Ambattur Taluk in Thiruvallur District. It is close to several major areas like Anna Nagar, Avadi and Padi. Covering an area of 45sqkm, Ambattur is the rapidly developing residential locality and the manufacturing hub of Chennai. Ambattur Railway Station serves the local people here. Do you know?
Ambattur is a collaboration of 50 small towns (ambathu oor in Tamil) from which the name, Ambattur is derived. Since Ambattur is an industrial town, it is well-known as an Auto Ancillary Hub.
Ambattur industrial estate is the biggest small scale industrial estate in South Asia and it houses about 1,800 units. Several major companies have their plants in Ambattur.
• TI Cycles of India
The VSNL Tata Communication has its Satellite-Earth Station at the Ambattur–Red Hills road, known as wireless among the locals. Some other channels like Jaya TV, Vijay TV, Asianet and Kairali rely signals from this facility.
The HVF- Heavy Vehicles Factory, which manufactures military tanks, is just 5 km from this place, adding to its locality advantage.
A railway concrete sleeper manufacturing company is situated near the Ambattur railway station.
Textile industries such as Ambattur Clothing Limited (ACL) and Bombay Fashions have their companies here and they provide employment for thousands of women.
Ambattur has two main waterbodies, namely the Ambattur Lake, the Chithu Oragadam Lake and the biggest Puzhal Eri on the outskirts. The maintenance of the Ambattur Eri is plagued by problems such as dumping of garbage, water mining and construction of buildings. Also, the Chithu Oragadam (Thangal) Eri suffers due to pollution by sewage. The local body generates nearly 250 tonnes of garbage daily.
Owing to its great connectivity and proximity to residential neighborhoods and lower rentals, the Ambattur Industrial Estate has attracted a lot of IT Companies. Some major Information Technology companies have their developments here such as
• HCL Technologies
• Tata Consultancy Services
Prince Info Park, Ambit Park and Chennai Tech Park, state-of-the-art Futuristic IT Park are spread over several acres of land.
One IndiaBulls park is one of the major IT parks in Ambattur.
As a remarkable mile stone, CMA CGM, world's 3rd largest liner started their documentation Center along with Regional ECommerce Team in AMBIT Park.
• Amabattur has a great connectivity through both rail and road network.
• The prominent Chennai-Thiruvallur Road (CTH Road or NH 205) passes through Ambattur.
• The Chennai- Kolkata highway is just about 7 km from the place making it a prime location.
• The new Chennai Bypass road between Madhavaram and Maduravoyal passes through Ambattur Industrial Estate. It connects NH4 with NH5 and NH205 via Ambattur Industrial Estate.
• The Chennai Central- Arakonam railway line passes through Ambattur and has two railway stations in the neighourhood. Ambattur Railway Station serves the residential areas and Pattaravakkam Railway Station serves the Ambattur Industrial Estate area.
• Suburban trains operate daily from Chennai Central and Chennai Beach to Tiruvallur, Avadi, Pattabiram, Arakkonam and Tiruthani via Ambattur.
Educational Institutions located in and around Ambattur are:
• Velammal Vidyashram
• Sri. Venkateshwara Matric Hr. Sec. School
• Annai Violet International School
• Ebenezer Marcus Matriculation Higher Secondary School
• Velammal Engineering College
• Benson College of Arts and Science for Women
While IT and ITeS firms in Ambattur have brought in a new image to the industrial belt that has been known for its garment and auto-ancillary units, it has also increased the real estate prices.