Chembur is a suburb of Eastern Mumbai that changed from an industrial suburb to a residential hub over the years since Independence.
Chembur is an old and fully developed suburban area located in the Eastern part of Mumbai at a distance of approximately 15km from the central part of the city. The name of this place is believed to have been derived from the Marathi word 'Chimboree' meaning large crab. Chembur was originally on the north-western corner of Trombay Island before the land reclamation project took place. The railway line for Chembur was first opened to passengers in 1924 and was made part of Greater Bombay in 1945. This place also has a history of having hosted refugees after independence and following partition. The growth and gradual development of residential areas occurred after the industrialisation of Trombay during war.
Chembur eventually transformed from an industrial suburb to primarily a residential area after the construction of the Township Colony, Shell Colony and Station Colony undertaken by the Bombay Housing Board. Today Chembur is home to many more such colonies like BPCL, Tata Colony, Pestom, Indian Oil Nagar, HPCL, Chedda Nagar, Tilak Nagar etc. One can also find several independent houses in Chembur in combination with modern high rises and plenty of open spaces – something that is so difficult to find in Mumbai.One of the many notable landmarks and one of the biggest green cover areas for this locality is the Bombay Presidency Golf Club. Numerous well-developed suburbs can be seen nearby Chembur locality which includes Kurla, Deonar, Chunabhatti and Ghatkopar.
Reasons to invest in Chembur:
The building of the monorail, elevated road and the Eastern Freeway has significantly contributed to the fast paced growth of one of Mumbai's greenest suburbs. Reputed builders like Godrej, Ekta Group and Hubtown have come up with residential cum commercial projects in Chembur. Given its location and proximity to the city, any property investment in Chembur is assured to bring in good returns.
Top Places in Chembur Colony
Connectivity with nearby Chembur localities:
- The Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport is located at a distance of 10km
Employment hubs near Chembur:
Chembur is well-connected to prime business districts of proper Mumbai city.
- The BandraKurla Complex is located 7.8 km away via the Chembur Link Road
- Andheri East with many companies and one of the many busy areas of Mumbai is located 11.7 km away
- Lower Parel is at a distance of 9km via Sewri-Chembur Road
- One of the upcoming business and IT hubs, Navi Mumbai is located 21.2 km away
Chembur offers many recreational sites for residents and has a lot of public spaces that include –
- Gandhi Maidan
- Bombay Presidency Golf Club
- Ambedkar Udyan
- Various other Gymkhanas, fitness centres, swimming pools and libraries
Over the years Chembur has developed into a lively neighbourhood of Mumbai that not only offers top apartments in Chembur but also good social infrastructure. Some reputed schools in Chembur include –
- St. Joseph's Convent Chamber
- St, Gregorios High School
Reputed reliable hospitals in Chembur are –
- NY Children's Hospital
- Clintech India
Famous Places in Chembur Colony
- Universal eye clinicChembur Colony, , Chembur, Western Suburbs, Mumbai, Mumbai Metropolitan Region
- Ashirwad MedicalChembur Colony, , Chembur, Western Suburbs, Mumbai, Thane District
- AVH Clothing & AccessoriesChembur Colony, , Chembur, Western Suburbs, Mumbai, Mumbai Metropolitan Region
Price Trends for Chembur Colony