Table of Contents
- Where to keep tortoise at home for positive energy?
- Where to keep tortoise at home for wish-fulfilment?
- Where to keep tortoise at home for career growth?
- Where to keep Feng Shui tortoise for protection?
- Where to keep tortoise to promote health?
- Where to keep tortoise to resolve financial problems?
- Significance of tortoise in various cultures
- Types of tortoise
- Where to place different types of tortoise?
- Best day to place a tortoise
- Benefits of keeping tortoise at home
There are a number of animal figurines that are considered lucky, according to Feng Shui, such as the green dragon, red phoenix, white tiger and black tortoise. The black tortoise, in Chinese mythology, is considered as a spiritual creature which signifies longevity. It also helps in focusing the positive energy in the house.
To help you understand the benefits and right placement of tortoise figurines at home, here is a guide, for you to make the most of this Feng Shui element.
See also: How to use elephant figurines for good luck
Where to keep tortoise at home for positive energy?
- Tortoise figures can be placed in the backyard, for stabilising the positive energy at home.
- Tortoise can also be placed at the entrance, to protect your home from negative energies.
- Metal tortoises should always be kept with its feet immersed in water. Fill a small metal dish or bowl with water and then place the turtle in it. This brings happiness and prosperity in the house.
- Placing the tortoise figurine close to an artificial waterfall or fish tank is considered very lucky for the household.
- Place the tortoise in your ‘Tien Yi’ direction, as it can help you in fighting illness. To determine your Tien Yi direction, you need to know your Kua number which can be calculated by adding the digits of your year of birth, till you get a single digit. Now, females should add four to this number while males should subtract 11 from this number, to get the Kua number.
- If you place the tortoise near the bed, it will help you in dealing with anxiety and insomnia. You can keep it beside your child’s bed, if he/she is afraid of sleeping alone.
- Do not place the tortoise in the bathroom or kitchen.
- Never keep chipped, cracked or broken tortoise figurines at home.
- Keeping the tortoise in the east, the north or the north-west, is considered good for home and career.
Also read our article on tips for Vastu for business
Where to keep tortoise at home for wish-fulfilment?
According to Feng Shui, tortoise can be used for wish-fulfilment, as well. However, for this, you need to buy a tortoise made of metal that can be opened. Write down a wish on a yellow paper and keep this inside the tortoise and close it. Place this tortoise on a red cloth and keep it in a place where you can see it every day. Once your wish is fulfilled, remove the paper from the metal tortoise.
Where to keep tortoise at home for career growth?
- Place a metal figurine or painting of a black tortoise in the living room or the workplace. The tortoise figurine should have a Chinese coin in its mouth, as it represents growth in income.
- To ensure career growth, position the statue in a way that it faces the main door.
- Place the black tortoise in the north, near water features such as fountains or fish tanks, for career growth.
- There are different types of tortoises available in the market, made of metal, crystal, wood and stone. A stone tortoise should be placed near the main entrance, if it faces the west direction, while a metal tortoise should be placed in the north or the north-west direction. Similarly, a crystal tortoise should be placed in the south-west or the north-west direction. An earthen or wooden tortoise can be placed in the east or south-east direction of your home.
Where to keep Feng Shui tortoise for protection?
The best Feng Shui placement of the tortoise, is in the back of the house. In an office environment, you can place a small tortoise behind your seating place. Outdoors, you can place a tortoise in the back of your garden. If you have a stone tortoise positioned close to a west-facing front door, it will bring protection to the main door. If you choose this application of Feng Shui, be sure that the turtle is facing towards the main door.
Where to keep tortoise to promote health?
For combating illness and promoting health, the tortoise should be placed facing the best direction, for the inhabitants of the home. This is calculated by looking into one’s Kua number (a system of numerology based on your birth year and gender), the birth Feng Shui element, as well as the current Feng Shui energies for the year.
Where to keep tortoise to resolve financial problems?
Turtle signifies wealth. Keeping a crystal tortoise in the home or office will help one deal with financial problems and promote financial stability. A crystal tortoise also helps eliminate some Vastu defects. The tortoise figurine should be placed in the north direction, according to Vastu Shastra. The direction is ruled by the Lord of wealth, Kuber. One should note that keeping a crystal tortoise facing north direction in home or office is recommended in Vastu Shastra.
Significance of tortoise in various cultures
The tortoise is an auspicious symbol in many cultures and is believed to bring good health, longevity and good luck. Tortoises are considered celestial animals and in both, Chinese and Hindu mythology, they are important. In Hindu mythology, the tortoise is the second incarnation of Lord Vishnu the Kurma Avatar. According to legend, lord Vishnu took the tortoise avatar during Samundra Manthan. The tortoise was sacred to the Greek god Hermes, the messenger god, who was a promoter of peace. Some native American beliefs are that the world is carried on a turtle’s back.
Types of tortoise
To avoid any ill-effects, you should know that every turtle figurine serves a different purpose. Let us see what the different types are and where they should be placed.
Metal turtles should be put in the north or the north-west direction. Such figurines attracts good fortune into the lives of children, sharpen their minds and boost their concentration.
Crystal or glass tortoise
Tortoise figurines made of crystal or glass can be placed in the southwest or northwest directions. Such figurines promote good luck, wealth and prosperity. A crystal tortoise can face east or north direction in home or office.
All wooden turtles or tortoises should be put in the east or south-east corner, as it tends to remove negative energies from your home. It is also beneficial for bringing positivity to the lives of your family members.
Female turtle is one of the popular types of figurines that symbolises children and family. Place this turtle in your home, to avoid any disputes within the family.
Tortoise with coins
If you can find tortoise figurines, which are depicted with Feng Shui coins, you can use it to attract money and to improve health and family life.
Three tired or triple tortoises, as per Feng Shui, symbolise harmony among family and friends. It promotes good luck, love and bonding in the family. Place this turtle in your home to protect the family from bad luck and unfortunate events.
There are unique specimens available in dragon turtle form, which is a Feng Shui cure for eliminating negative energies. It is a mystical combination of the energies of the turtle with the energies of the dragon.
If you have a family member who is suffering from a terminal illness, you might choose a tortoise made from hematite for its symbolic value in combating health issues. You can also choose one made from rose quartz, as this is believed to improve love relationships.
If you have been struggling with a financial crisis for a long time, you can keep a turtle made of rhinestone in the house. Keep it in the north direction of the house with its head pointing inward.
To bring stability in your life, place a clay turtle at home. This type of tortoise reduces the fluctuations in life and brings peace, harmony, longevity and money.
The green dragon
To improve your dedication, you can keep the green dragon, which is also the guardian of the east direction.
The red phoenix
If you are seeking fame and popularity, red phoenix tortoises should be kept in the south direction, as this is the symbol of reputation.
If you are seeking career growth or business development, place a black tortoise in the north direction.
Where to place different types of tortoise?
Currently, the market is flooded with different types and varieties of tortoises for home decor. You can choose and keep them according to the table given below. However, keep a few things in mind, such as:
- If you want stability in relationships, do not place a single tortoise – keep them in a pair.
- You can also keep a ‘family’ of tortoises, like a small and big tortoise together, in the south-west direction.
- For relationships, use a brass tortoise as it represents stability.
|Type of tortoise||Placement|
|Metal tortoise||North or north-west|
|Wooden tortoise||East or south-east|
|Glass/crystal tortoise||South-west or north-west|
Best day to place a tortoise
According to Vastu experts, weekdays such as Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, are considered to be the best days to place tortoise figurines in the house. You can also consult the local priest or choose the auspicious time according to the Panchang (Hindu Calendar).
Benefits of keeping tortoise at home
- Tortoise figurines attract positive energy. It is believed that keeping it in your bedroom can help fight insomnia.
- Tortoises also attract wealth, prosperity, peace, good fortune and strength.
- The long life cycle of the tortoise symbolises immortality.
- Keeping tortoise in water doubles its effect.
- A tortoise brings firmness to your personal and professional life.
- Place the tortoise at the entrance, to safeguard your home from negative energy.
- Keep it near an artificial waterfall or fish tank, to magnify the power of the tortoise.
- Keeping the tortoise in the north, is good for your career.
- A mound-shaped turtle kept in the backyard, is considered essential for safety and security.
Which direction should the tortoise face?
Tortoise figurines should always be placed facing the east direction.
Is it lucky to keep a tortoise at home?
Yes, depictions of tortoises are considered lucky.
Is turtle good for Feng Shui?
Yes, turtles are good, as per Feng Shui.
What is the symbolic meaning of a turtle?
Turtles symbolise longevity, wisdom,wealth, perseverance, retreat, tranquillity, hope, the Earth and change.
What is the difference between a turtle and tortoise?
Turtles can be aquatic, semi-aquatic, or mostly terrestrial. Tortoises live on land and are herbivores. The word tortoise or turtle are often used interchangeably. It is one of the sacred symbols in Feng Shui.
Can one keep artwork with tortoises at home?
One can place tortoise artwork, such as paintings or photos at home, to attract positive energy, wisdom, protection and longevity for the inhabitants.
Is it lucky to keep a tortoise in the office?
Keeping a silver turtle in the shop or office is auspicious when starting a new business and to enhance luck.
Can one keep a tortoise in the garden?
Yes, it signifies good luck and also aids in protection from bad energy.
What are the benefits of keeping Jade tortoise at home?
In Feng Shui, jade is considered auspicious and brings good fortune. Jade tortoise improves health and harmony among the family members and also gives protection from negative energy.
(With inputs from Purnima Goswami Sharma)