Table of Contents
- Vastu for kitchen
- Vastu for open kitchen layout
- Is open kitchen good as per Vastu?
- Kitchen direction as per Vastu
- Vastu for kitchen accessories
- Dining room Vastu
- Vastu colours for kitchen
- Vastu for kitchen lights
- Vastu for kitchen: Dos and don’ts
- Kitchen design and décor tips
- Most asked questions about kitchen Vastu
The kitchen, today, is the hub of activity in a modern home. Kitchens are well-designed areas with the latest gadgets, where family members are seen cooking, bonding together and even socialising with friends and family. Vastu Shastra, which advocates the design and construction of buildings in harmony with the natural laws of the universe, has several guidelines for the open and closed kitchen, so that the home has the right kind of energy and positivity. The atmosphere in the kitchen is very important, for the occupant’s health and other benefits, says Vastu Shastra and astrology expert, Jayshree Dhamani.
“Health is wealth and the correct position and placement of things, in the appropriate direction, matters according to Vastu Shastra. It is the fireplace which purifies the energy of the house and thus, the food cooked there is said to fuel and nourish the body. Hence the fire has to be placed in the perfect direction. Kitchens should not be in the north-east and south-west,” explains Dhamani.
Vastu for kitchen
Vastu for open kitchen layout
The concept of open kitchen is gaining preference from a lot of Indian families, especially those who have lived abroad for several years. Here are a few Vastu tips for open kitchen layouts:
- The ideal zone for an open kitchen is the south-east, as both, the south and east, directions are dominated by the fire element.
- Open kitchen layouts in the north zone should be avoided, as it affects new opportunities in career, growth and money.
- The west zone is also considered good for open kitchen layouts. It promotes gains and good health, physically and financially.
Is open kitchen good as per Vastu?
The concept of an open kitchen layout is widely used in contemporary homes. However, as per Vastu Shastra, it may lead to the flow of negative energies and conflicts in the house. There are some Vastu remedies for an open kitchen that can eliminate the negative effects. This includes changing the colour of one of the walls in the kitchen to red and placing a mirror in a way that it reflects the stove and the guests at home. Further, you can place camphor balls, a wind chime, or Vastu crystal balls in the kitchen, to ensure good flow of energies.
Kitchen direction as per Vastu
According to Vastu, one’s home should have a proper balance of the elements of earth, sky, air, fire and water. “Fire or ‘agni devta’, is associated with the Sun, which symbolises energy and strength. As per Vastu, the placement of fire sources should be in the south-east direction. So, the kitchen should be in the south-east corner of the house and one should face east while cooking. West is an alternate neutral direction to face, while cooking. The sink should ideally be placed in the north-west zone of the kitchen. Place the water pots and water purifier in the north-east side,” says Mumbai-based Nitien Parmar of VastuPlus.
A clean, spacious and clutter-free kitchen is a must for good health and prosperity. The kitchen must have windows and be airy and have enough light. In order to avoid clutter and have ample space while cooking, the design of the kitchen should be minimal, with clean, simple lines. Storage space, as far as possible, should be on the west and south walls of the kitchen.
“Water dripping from a tap or a leaking pipe in the kitchen, denotes that wealth is being drained from one’s life and should be immediately repaired. Always keep the rice jar at home filled more than half for prosperity. Avoid keeping storage jars on old newspapers. Do not keep the dustbin in north-east of the kitchen and avoid cooking under an overhead beam,” adds Parmar.
See also: Vastu tips for choosing a new apartment
Vastu for kitchen accessories
|Entry door||North, east or west|
|Cooking gas||South-east corner|
|Refrigerator||South-east, south, north or west|
|Equipment (e.g., heaters, conventional ovens, microwaves, ovens)||South-east or south|
|Storage racks||Western or southern wall|
|Windows and exhaust fan||East direction|
|Clocks||South or south-west wall|
Dining room Vastu
It is not the kitchen alone that matters; even the dining area should be done as per Vastu Shastra. “The dining table should not be below a toilet on the upper floor. Dining tables should preferably be in the shape of a square or a rectangle, as they stand for stability. Avoid round or oval dining tables. Lights create positive energy. So, the dining area should not be dark. Keep a mirror near the dining table wall, as a mirror reflects and thereby, doubles the food visible, which represents abundance and wealth,” says Parmar. To attract positive energy, always keep some rock salt or powdered salt on the dining table. The dining table should never be kept empty. You can keep some fruits, dry fruits or a jug filled with water on it.
Vastu colours for kitchen
The kitchen symbolises purity. Therefore, white is the best colour according to Vastu Shastra but do not overdo the white colour. One should not use too much red either in the kitchen, as it creates unstable energy. Avoid using dark colours as they may lead to depression. Other ideal colours recommended for the kitchen are green, lemon yellow and orange as these represent nourishing colours and colours of fire. Opt for white in the kitchen ceiling to create balance. Avoid using black, grey and blue colours in the kitchen. “In case one cannot have a separate pooja room, one can have a temple in the kitchen, in the north/east corner, provided one cooks vegetarian food. If non-vegetarian food is cooked, then, it is better not to keep a temple in the kitchen,” concludes Dhamani.
|Wall colours for kitchen||Represents|
|White||Cleanliness and purity|
|Yellow||Cheery and positive|
|Pastel shades||Warmth and love|
|Colours for kitchen cabinets, floors and slabs|
|Lemon yellow, orange or green cabinets||Freshness, good health|
|Ceramic tiles, mosaic or marble flooring||Positivity|
|Quartz or granite slabs||Balanced environment|
Vastu for kitchen lights
According to Vastu, the kitchen should have uniform lighting and minimum shadows. A well-lit kitchen exudes positivity and so, you can use walls scones, task and pendant lighting in the kitchen. Do not neglect the storage area and illuminate it well. A zero-watt red light bulb placed on the south-east wall of the kitchen can help in financial growth.
Vastu for kitchen: Dos and don’ts
Kitchen design and décor tips
- Avoid an all-white kitchen, as it can make the space look dull and cold. A kitchen should always look welcoming.
- Do not build too many cabinets in dark colours, as it can make the space look claustrophobic and overbearing.
- According to kitchen Vastu, platforms touching the north wall of the kitchen should be avoided but platforms can be extended on the southern wall.
- If a loft is required in the kitchen, then, it should be on the west or south wall and not on east or north.
- According to Vastu, keeping a water-filled pot in the kitchen helps in keeping financial woes away. If one cannot keep a big earthen pot, opt for a small one. Fill it with water and keep it in the north or north-east portion.
- If you want a timeless look, avoid decorative decals as it may go out of trend very soon.
- Do not use dark colours in a small kitchen as it makes the space look smaller.
- High cabinets and low ceilings are not the best match, as one will shrink the perception of the other.
- If the stove and sink are close to each other, place a bone china vase between them as a Vastu remedy.
- Ensure that the windows open out to the east or the north for natural light.
- The floor colours of the kitchen should be yellow, orange, rose, chocolate or red.
- The kitchen design should be such that the gas burner is not right in front of the main door of the kitchen.
Most asked questions about kitchen Vastu
- Where should a gas stove be placed in the kitchen?
Stoves should be placed in the south-east direction, as this corner signifies fire.
- Where should the sink be placed in a kitchen?
The kitchen sink should be placed along the north or north-east direction.
- Which direction is the best for the kitchen?
South-east is the best direction for the kitchen.
- Where should I put my dustbin in my kitchen?
The south-west, the west or the north-west, are ideal directions to keep dustbins.
Where should be kitchen as per Vastu?
According to Vastu Shastra, fire sources should be placed in the south-east direction of the house. Hence, the kitchen should also be in the south-east and while cooking, one should face east.
Which colour is best for kitchen slab according to Vastu?
Ideal colours for kitchen platforms are yellow, white, orange and green.
How to remove Vastu dosh of kitchen?
Several Vastu defects relating to the kitchen can be addressed by using zinc metal pyramids and crystals of various shapes and sizes, in particular areas. One should consult a Vastu Shastra expert, for the placement of these objects.
Where to place dining table as per Vastu?
The dining table should never be placed below a toilet on the upper floor. On can sit facing the east, north or west side, with the head of the family on the east side, while other members can take the other two sides.
Which direction is bad for kitchen?
A kitchen in the north or north-east direction is not recommended, as it can severely impact one’s career and finances. Similarly, the south-west is also not suitable for a kitchen, as it can affect marital relationships.
Where should I place the garbage bin in the kitchen?
Keep garbage bins in the south-west, west or north-west.