Table of Contents
Buying a property in India is a long and tedious process, often accompanied by Vastu considerations. Although Vastu Shastra experts say that all directions are equally good, several myths prevail on the subject. For example, a south or west-facing property is considered less favourable for owners, whereas an east-facing property is believed to be luckier for the residents. Sometimes, people are ready to pay extra for Vastu-compliant homes. However, is it worth it? Let us find out.
What is an east-facing house?
If you are inside the house, in front of the entrance door, it is the direction you face while coming out of your home. If you face east while exiting the home, you have an east- facing house.
Are east facing houses good?
It is often believed that the houses that are more spacious in the east, are blessed with more fortune and luck. Homes that are broad and at a lower level in the east than other directions, are considered luckiest.
Vastu for east-facing property
According to Vastu Shastra guidelines, east-facing properties are believed to be good for buildings and multi-storey apartments. However, for independent houses and bungalows, this direction is not counted amongst the best choices. Also, there are certain Vastu rules, guidelines and principles that have to be followed when it comes to Vastu for an east-facing property.
Vastu for east-facing main door
If you have an east-facing home, take caution while placing the main door entrance. Always ensure that your entrance is exactly in the middle and not in the south-east or north-east, as these two corners are considered unlucky for placing the main door in the east-facing property, according to Vastu.
If your entrance is in the north-east corner, make sure the main door does not touch the north-east corner. For this, you can leave at least 6 inches (1/2 ft) gap between the wall and the main door.
If you have a south-east facing main entrance, follow these remedies to nullify the Vastu dosha:
- Place three Vastu pyramids, one on each side of the door and the third one on the top of the main door, in the centre.
- You can also place the symbol of Om, Swastik and Trishul, on both sides of the door.
- Install a Siddha Shukra Yantra for eliminating negative energy from the home.
- Alternatively, you can also use a Siddha Vastu Kalash, to amplify the positive energy generated in this part of the corner.
Dos and don’ts for east-facing house
- Walls in the north and east directions, should be slightly shorter and thinner than those in the south and west.
- The kitchen should be planned in the south-east or north-west direction.
- Plan your kitchen in a way that you face east (in a south-east kitchen) or west (in a north-west kitchen), while cooking.
- The pooja room and living room in the north-east direction, are considered very auspicious.
- You can plan the guest room in the north-west direction.
- A plot that slopes from south to north is considered good.
- A master bedroom in the south-west direction is considered the best.
- There should be no bedroom, toilets and septic tanks in the north-east corner.
- There should be no kitchen in the north-east corner.
- There should be no big trees in the northern and eastern side of the house
- There should be no clutter, dirt, dustbins, etc., in the north and north-east corner.
- Leave more open space in the eastern and northern side of the house.
- The boundary wall should be higher in the southern and western side of the plot.
- Avoid buying property, which is attached to the land in the south or west direction.
- Consider a property which has a plot attached to it in the northern direction, as it is considered lucky and brings prosperity and fortune.
- If there is any student in the house, keep a crystal globe in the north-east zone.
- Purify the home with mountain salt twice a week, to boost energetic vibes.
What does an east-facing house mean?
It is the direction your compass shows, while coming out of your home.
Is an east-facing house good as per Vastu?
East symbolises life, light and energy, as the sun rises from this direction. This is the reason it is considered lucky.