Table of Contents
- Tips to improve Vastu in the bedroom without architectural changes
- Tips to improve Vastu in the living/dining room without architectural changes
- Tips to improve Vastu in the kitchen without architectural changes
- Tips to improve Vastu in the bathroom/toilet without architectural changes
- Tips to improve Vastu in the puja room without architectural changes
- Tips to improve Vastu in the garden without architectural changes
- General Vastu tips for the home
There was a time when people used to invest their time and effort in building their homes from scratch. Since land was in abundance and more freely available, making a home that was Vastu-compliant was not a difficult task. As the buyers’ preferences changed, in favour of apartments and readymade bungalows, finding a home that met Vastu Shastra guidelines became tough. There is a myth that Vastu defects cannot be corrected without structural changes. On the contrary, there are a number of DIY things that you can do, to improve Vastu without making any architectural changes.
Tips to improve Vastu in the bedroom without architectural changes
- Do not keep the television or computers in the bedroom.
- Never sleep with your head pointing towards the south.
- Avoid any water body or plant in the bedroom.
- Avoid using separate mattresses on a double bed. Use single double-bed mattress and bed sheets only.
- Arrange the furniture in a way to form a square or a circle or an octagon.
- Do not place the bed under a beam.
- Ensure that the cupboards and beds should be placed close to the south-west wall and at a distance from the north-east wall.
- Keep the cash box in the south and the door of the almirah should open towards the north.
- Place the telephone in the south-east or north-east corner of the room.
See also: Vastu tips for the bedroom
Tips to improve Vastu in the living/dining room without architectural changes
- Keep the television and computers in the south-east corner of the living room. Avoid keeping it in the north-east corner or the south-west corner.
- Light up the corners with bright lights.
- Hang a picture of a bright sunrise on the southern wall in the living room.
- Place a bright light near the main door.
- Keep an aquarium in the north-east corner of the living room. It should have nine goldfishes and one black fish, as this is considered very lucky for the household.
- You can also place a happy family portrait in the living room.
- Your dining room should not be visible from the front door.
- Avoid paintings with depressing scenes, such as war, crying women, etc. Place happy pictures at home, such as those depicting sunrise, oceans, flowers or laughing children.
- Do not hoard stale food, torn clothes or waste material in the house, as it prevents positive energy from entering the house.
- If you have marble flooring, avoid placing leather items on it as it is considered to be a holy stone. Marble flooring should be avoided in the bedrooms, bathrooms and toilets. You can use marble in the puja room which should be well lit and airy.
See also: Vastu tips for living and dining rooms
Tips to improve Vastu in the kitchen without architectural changes
- Do not put a mirror in the kitchen.
- The gas stove should be in the south-east corner of the kitchen and the person should face the east while cooking.
- Place the drinking water in the north-east of the kitchen.
- If you place brooms and mops in the kitchen, ensure that it is not visible.
See also: Important kitchen Vastu Shastra tips
Tips to improve Vastu in the bathroom/toilet without architectural changes
- Always keep the bathroom and toilet doors closed.
- Place the toilet seat on the south or west wall.
- All windows should open outwards and not inwards.
See also: Vastu tips for bathrooms and toilets
Tips to improve Vastu in the puja room without architectural changes
- Light incense sticks in the puja room daily, to keep negative energy and foul smell at bay.
- Your face should be towards the north-east, when you sit to pray.
- If there is a toilet near the puja room, do not use it and it should be kept clean always.
See also: Vastu Shastra tips for a temple at home
Tips to improve Vastu in the garden without architectural changes
- Do not keep prickly plants such as cactus in the house.
- No tall trees, such as banyan or peepal, should overshadow the house. These are not recommended close to the main building.
- Plant trees in the south or west direction and not in the north and the east direction.
- Plant decorative plants in the north and east direction but ensure that its height does not exceed half-a-metre.
- Plants exuding white sap should be avoided at home.
- Keep a tulsi plant in the north-east corner of the premises but ensure that its height is not more than 1.5 metres.
- Do not plant creepers or climbers with support on the compound wall or a house wall.
General Vastu tips for the home
- Make sure your house has good ventilation and has enough water resources.
- Students should face east while studying, for better concentration and focus.
- The hinges of doors should not be noisy. They should be oiled often.
How do you correct Vastu defects?
You can correct Vastu defects by following the above-mentioned Vastu remedies.
What should be kept in the north-east corner of a house?
Remove all obstructions and gaps in this corner as this is the corner of the god of wealth.
Where is the wealth corner of a house?
According to Vastu, the north-east is the wealth corner while as per Feng Shui, the south-east is considered as the wealth corner.