Table of Contents
- Bathroom and toilet direction as per Vastu
- Bathroom Vastu: Why should bathrooms be Vastu-compliant?
- Toilets in northeast direction: Vastu remedies
- Vastu remedies for toilets in north direction
- Vastu remedies for toilet in south direction
- South west toilet Vastu remedies
- Vastu remedies for toilets in the east direction
- Toilet seat direction as per Vastu
- Bathroom and toilet Vastu rules for utilities and fixtures
- Bathroom Vastu for bathtub
- Bathroom Vastu tips for doors
- Bathroom Vastu for windows
- Bathrooms Vastu colours
- Vastu for attached bathroom and separate bathrooms
- Wall-sharing with the bathroom
- Vastu for bathroom drainage
- Vastu for bathroom flooring
- Vastu for bathroom overhead water tank
- Best location for bathroom and toilets in your home
- Vastu rules: Where should a toilet be placed in a bathroom?
- Impact of incorrect placement of bathrooms, toilets
- Vastu dosh remedies: How to remove negative energy from the bathroom?
- Vastu and water leakage in the bathroom
- Vastu for bathroom in the home office
- Vastu for bathroom lights
- Vastu tips for plants in the bathroom
- Vastu tips for bathroom decoration
- Can we build bathroom under stairs according to Vastu?
Most families put a great deal of energy and effort, in designing and remodelling their living space. The reason behind this, is that the drawing room and hall are the areas that your guests see and hence, it should be presentable. However, home owners need to give equal importance to every room, because every space can be moulded to emit positive energy. Bathrooms and toilets are often the most neglected spaces. As per Vastu Shastra guidelines, toilets and bathrooms can become sources of negative energies if it is not positioned in the right direction. It is unwise to leave a much-frequented space uncared for. So, the right bathroom and toilet direction as per Vastu should be considered at the time of construction of a house. One should avoid constructing bathroom in the center of the house. It is essential to know the bathroom Vastu guidelines to promote positive energies.
A bathroom/toilet space that is not Vastu-compliant, can lead to financial issues or loss of wealth or even health issues for family members, stress or even minor accidents. Some people design a bedroom and attached bathroom can become a source of negative energy. However, by following Vastu guidelines, one can rectify this problem. If you are looking to construct or remodel your bathroom or rectify the Vastu of the bathroom, here are some tips to begin with:
Bathroom and toilet direction as per Vastu
The bathroom and toilet area must be in the north direction or north-west portion of your house, as per Vastu. Do not build the bath area in the south direction or even in the south east or south-west direction, as it is said to have a negative impact on the health of the people in the house. The toilet, as per Vastu Shatra, should be constructed one to two feet higher than the ground level.
Also read about Vastu tips when shifting to new rented house
Bathroom Vastu: Why should bathrooms be Vastu-compliant?
A majority of Indian home owners prefer Vastu-compliant homes, because of the belief that it will ensure positive energy within the house. Even those who are not very particular about following Vastu Shastra norms, agree that it may be easier to sell a home in the secondary market, if it is Vastu-compliant and devoid of any doshas. Vastu Shastra has guidelines for every room in your home – the direction of the rooms, colours that can be used, ways to correct defects, if any, etc. In this article, we look at how to make your bath and wash space Vastu-compliant and tell you the best bathroom and toilet direction as per Vastu rules.
Also read about buying the best water tank in India
Toilets in northeast direction: Vastu remedies
Designing a toilet in the north direction or north-east part of a house works against the Vastu principles and leads to the flow of negative energies. Place a north-east yantra on the north-east side of the house. To eliminate the negative energies due to toilet in north side, you can burn camphor or fragrant candles inside the toilet. The toilet doors should always remain closed. You can keep indoor plants like money plant or spider plant that will absorb the negativity. Sea salt also absorbs negativity and a bowl of it should be placed in the toilet. Ensure that the salt is changed every week. Finally, ensure that the toilet that is placed in north east is neat and clean at all times.
Vastu remedies for toilets in north direction
Toilets built in the north direction can bring negative effects, in terms of health issues. One Vastu remedy for such designs, is to shift the pit to the north-west and paint the walls in black colour. Placing white coloured flowers in a metal vase facing north, can also help in eliminating the negative impact. According to the bathroom Vastu rules for north facing house, the south of south-west or west of north-west are suitable places to design bathrooms. The east of the southeast direction aids in eliminating physical and mental negative energies.
See also: North facing house Vastu plan
Vastu remedies for toilet in south direction
The toilet location, as per Vastu Shastra guidelines in the right south direction can result in loss of fame, as per Vastu Shastra guidelines. Changing the toilet position, as per Vastu, between south and southwest direction is one of the remedies for this Vastu defect.
Make sure to pick the right colour scheme for the bathroom and toilet space, according to Vastu. If the bathroom zone in the south direction is balanced, go for light shades of red, pink, orange, purple and violet. Go for neutral shades if the zone is extended.
South west toilet Vastu remedies
If the toilet happens to be in the south-west direction, you can follow these Vastu remedies:
- Place a Vastu pyramid on the outer part of the south-west toilet wall.
- Keep the doors of the toilet closed at all times.
- Ensure that the toilet in the south-west direction does not have any metal accessories.
- Place the exhaust fan in the north-east or east direction.
- Place three or nine lead helices on the outer bathroom wall. You can also place three wooden pyramid partitions on the outside of the bathroom door frame.
- Alternately, you can keep Vastu salt in a bronze bowl. It should be replaced every week.
- The colours recommended in Vastu for toilet and bathroom in this direction include light hues like yellow and beige.
Vastu remedies for toilets facing south east direction
Building a toilet facing south, the direction of fire, can have negative effects as per Vastu. It is better to avoid using such toilets. To remove the negative effects of a south east bathroom or toilet, place a Vastu pyramid on the south and east side of the walls on the outside. You can also keep Vastu salt in a copper bowl, which should be replaced every week.
For a toilet in south east corner that is extended, go for lighter colours like yellow, cream or neutral shades.
Vastu remedies for toilets in the east direction
Always make sure that the toilet/bathroom in your house, is not in the east direction. This kind of design can cause troubles for your family, especially affecting the oldest child. Hence, it is important to select the best direction for toilet as per Vastu. If you are unable to avoid it, try using bamboo on the roof of such a place, which will help reduce the ill effects.
It is always better to avoid constructing a toilet in east direction. However, for homes with the bathroom and toilet in east, Vastu remedies may include changing your colours scheme. Use light earthy hues of brown and green.
Toilet seat direction as per Vastu
The toilet seat must be constructed in a way that the person using it faces the north or south direction. It will ensure good health of the family members. One must face south or north direction as per Vastu while sitting on a toilet seat. When decising the toilet position as per Vastu, make sure to include a window that will help in ensuring the proper energy flow.
Bathroom and toilet Vastu rules for utilities and fixtures
- Mirrors in the bathroom as per Vastu, should be put up on the northern or eastern wall of the bathroom. Choose square and rectangular mirrors and place them at least four or five ft from the floor.
- The mirror in the bathroom should be placed in a high position, such that it does not reflect the toilet seat.
- Electrical fittings, such as hair dryers and geysers, can be placed in the south-east side.
- Exhaust fans, or if you have a window for ventilation, must face the east or north-east direction.
- Washbasins should be in the east, north or north-east part of the bathroom.
- Opt for wooden bathroom furniture and utility baskets and metal light fixtures, for achieving a balanced look in the bathroom.
- The shower should also be located in the east, north or north-east part.
- The washing machine should be placed in the south-east and north-west direction.
See also: Mirror direction as per Vastu
Bathroom Vastu for bathtub
According to Vastu, the Jacuzzi / bath tub should be round or square in shape. Ensure that it does not have sharp edges and angles. Ideally, keeping it in the north, east, west or north-east direction, is good. Bathroom mats can be white or blue and should be kept near the bathtub. Avoid dark colours like black or red. Bath tub pillows should be kept on the south side of the Jacuzzi. Those who wish to create a spa-like ambience with fragrant candles, should keep these in the north-east zone of the bathroom.
Also read about bath tub price in India: Bathtubs and modern bath spaces that redefine luxury
Bathroom Vastu tips for doors
- Bathroom doors should be in the north or east direction.
- Use a wooden door and avoid metal doors. Avoid ornate statues of gods and goddesses on the bathroom doors.
- Bathroom doors should be kept closed at all times, as it is said that leaving it open could let negative energy pervade into your personal relationships.
Bathroom Vastu for windows
Besides the right bathroom direction as per Vastu, every bathroom should have a window or a provision for proper ventilation. It will allow negative energies to move out and aid the entry of light into the room. The windows must open towards the east, north or west in the bathroom. Also, make sure the windows open outwards.
Bathrooms Vastu colours
Opt for light colours for the bathroom, such as beige and cream. Avoid colours such as black and dark blue or even red. Other suitable colours for your bathroom are brown and even white. Many people choose dark tiles or paint for their bath spaces but it is not recommended as per Vastu. From a cleanliness perspective also, lighter colours will help you spot dirt and help you attend to such areas. Moreover, earthy shades work well to maintain the space as one of the calm zones of your home. Dark colours not only allow negative energy but also make a compact space like a bathroom look smaller and more cramped than it is.
Vastu for attached bathroom and separate bathrooms
Ideally, toilets and bathrooms should not be attached, as per Vastu Shastra. However, due to space crunch, most urban homes cannot afford such a facility. Therefore, attached bathrooms are popular and widely used.
The north-west direction of a room is suitable for placing attached toilets. For attached bathrooms, a small window can be built on the east, west or north wall, inside the toilet. Remember the Vastu rules for toilet seat design and facing the Vastu recommended direction.
Further, when constructing an attached bathroom in a modern house, make sure the bathroom and toilet space is higher than the ground level of the room. As per Vastu, the attached bathroom should not be on the same ground level as that of the room.
Wall-sharing with the bathroom
According to bedroom Vastu principles, beds should not be placed close to the bathroom or toilet space. Ensure that the bathroom does not share its wall with your bedroom or your kitchen or sanctified places like the pooja room.
However, if you have a compact home and there is no way of avoiding wall sharing, you can change the position of your bed such that it does not recline against the bathroom wall. This will be your best bet to avoid negative energy.
Vastu for bathroom drainage
Water outlets and drainage must be in the north, east or north-east and the slope of the bathroom should be in the same direction.
Vastu for bathroom flooring
Vastu for bathroom states that the bathroom floor must never be on the same height as the bedroom and other rooms. A bathroom floor must be at least one foot above the ground level. The use of marble on the bathroom floor is not recommended in Vastu, tiles are better but avoid black or red coloured tiles.
The perfect flooring colours for bathroom and toilets as per Vastu are calm colours like blues, white or pastel shades.
Vastu for bathroom overhead water tank
In cities where there is water shortage, most of the houses install an overhead water tank these days, According to the Vastu principles, the southwest corner should be the heaviest so place the overhead tank in the southwest corner. The tank can be slightly positioned to the south or west of southwest, and even in the west. This can lead to financial wellbeing. Never keep the tank in the northeast corner or southeast corner, states Vastu.
Best location for bathroom and toilets in your home
Vastu rules: Where should a toilet be placed in a bathroom?
Placement of commode or water closet
This should not be above or under a pooja room or even a fire or bed space. It should be aligned in the north-south axis. The commode should be placed in the west, south or north-west side.
Placement: Can we construct bathroom in north-east corner?
Avoid installing the toilet in the north-east or center or south-west corner of your house. According to Vastu Shastra, north-east is a very important direction that commands worship. A bathroom with attached toilet can be equated to toxin and hence, cannot be built here. Also, note that it should not be placed near the kitchen area or puja room.
Placement of toilet: Can we make toilet in north?
No, one should never construct a toilet in the north area of the house. As north is the direction of Kubera, according to Vastu Shastra principles, construction of a toilet in the north can impact the whole house. It can also impact the health of the people residing in the house.
Placement of septic tank
Septic tanks should not be on the south side of the toilet. Its best location is towards the west side of the house or the north-west of the house. The tank must be higher than the floor level of the building.
Placement of attached toilet
An attached toilet should not be in the south-east or south-west side. It can be constructed on the south side.
Placement of taps and water storage
Do not put taps in the south-west or south-east. Also, do not store water in this direction. East, north and north-east are suitable directions for placing taps and storing water.
See also: Turn your bathroom into a spa sanctuary
If you go through the rules for construction of a bathroom and toilet space within your home, you will understand that the Vastu Shastra is not just about ensuring positive energy within your household but following these rules will also help you keep your space hygienic and utilitarian at all times.
Vastu and stage of construction of toilets
It is better to incorporate Vastu elements, right when you begin the construction. It may be difficult to incorporate changes once the house is ready for possession, complete with all the pipelines, properly arranged shelves and the direction of the washbasins, bathtubs, etc., already fixed. This may even result in a negative impact after setting in.
Impact of incorrect placement of bathrooms, toilets
|North||Impediments to business growth and wealth. It is said to hamper upcoming opportunities.|
|North-east||May cause health problems among family members.|
|East||Health problems affecting the digestive system and liver. Inhabitants may also be cut-off from society.|
|South-east||Financial problems or problems with marriage or childbirth, may happen.|
|South||Legal issues or loss of repute in business.|
|South-west||Relationship, health, or career-related problems may arise.|
|West||Property-related problems may arise. Non-fulfillment of dreams and mission.|
|North-west||May make it difficult to sell a property. One may not receive support from people around them.|
Vastu dosh remedies: How to remove negative energy from the bathroom?
- As per Vastu, both, glass and salt, are factors of Rahu. You could place a glass cup filled with salt in the bath and toilet space. It is said to remove Vastu defects.
- Make your bathroom a heaven for self-care and rejuvenation. You can use aromatherapy to freshen the bathroom, by adding a few drops of lemongrass oil into the toilet bowl. Let the aroma of essential oil or herbs, such as lavender, rosemary or sage, add a relaxing scent to the bathroom space. Keep the area clean and hygienic.
- Things stored in the bathroom affects one’s health and wellbeing. To keep negative energy away, regularly go through the things stored in the bathroom, such as cosmetics, toiletries, etc. Anything that has expired or is no longer required, should be discarded. Do not keep old toothbrushes and empty lotion or perfume bottles. Keep the bathroom clutter-free.
- Replace broken soap dispensers, toilet roll holders, etc. Regularly clean the towels and replace ones that are worn out.
- Having a mirror on the outer side of the bathroom door, is a great way to get rid of Vastu flaws. However, ensure that it does reflect the bedroom or the entrance door.
- Keep the bathroom fittings simple. While silver, stainless steel and ceramic are fine, do not opt for gold fittings as symbolically, it does not suit a bathroom setting.
- Ideally, have a door dividing the toilet cistern and the bathing area. If that is not possible, keep the lid of the cistern down at all times and keep the door closed. Or use a curtain to separate the bath and toilet area.
- Do not keep decorative statues or religious idols on the bathroom door.
- For harmonious flow of energy, ensure that the bathroom is clean, clutter-free and does not have stains, dampness or fungus.
- Music has a positive effect, especially when bathing. It can help one to relax. Hence, you can have a music system installed in the south-east corner of the bathroom, as according to Vastu, this area is meant for electronics.
Vastu and water leakage in the bathroom
According to Vastu, it is considered inauspicious if water drips from the tap, jet or shower, even after it is turned off, as it causes negative energy. Wastage of water is not considered good. Leaking taps should be repaired immediately, as it can lead to unnecessary expenditure and loss of money.
Vastu for bathroom in the home office
Here is a guide on the right bathroom location as per vastu in office. Vastu states the best location for the toilet is the northwest or west in the office. As per Vastu Shastra, avoid a toilet in the center of the office (Brahmsthana) or the northeast direction of a building. Northeast and southwest corners should be strictly avoided. If the toilet is attached to any cabin, then it should not be to the northeast of that cabin. In a bathroom, the commode should be on the west or northwest side of the room so that when sitting on it one faces the north or south direction. Keep the toilets clean and free of bad odour. Wipe office floor with salt mixed with water daily to keep negative energy at bay and attract positive energy in the office.
Vastu for bathroom lights
According to Vastu, lights in the bathroom should create a calming ambience. It should not be dark and dingy and have adequate illumination. If there are no windows in the bathroom, use bulbs in the overhead lighting fixture to simulate natural sunlight and boost healthy energy. In a small bathroom, general lighting is essential. A central ceiling light should suffice in such a situation. For large bathrooms which have sections of baths and toilets, go for overhead fixtures for enough light in all the corners. The most vital lighting in a bathroom is the one around the mirror. The light in this area should be diffused and have no glare or shadow. One can improve the energy of the bathroom by adding a small night-light preferably a wall scone.
See also: Design ideas for bathroom false ceiling
Vastu tips for plants in the bathroom
Greenery in the bathroom can absorb negative energy. Moreover, lush green plants uplift one’s mood. Also the bathroom is the space meant for self care and rejuvenation and plants help in creating a relaxing ambiance. If the bathroom has some extra space, then, add green vibes to the decor. Money plant is the best option for a bathroom, as it can withstand the warm and humid condition of the bathroom. One can also keep snake plant, ZZ plant, aloe vera and spider plant in the bathroom. Pick plants that thrive in high humidity and can tolerate moist air. Ensure that the bathroom has a window that gets natural light or else rotate plants in and out of the bathroom, to expose it to the sun a few times in a week.
Vastu tips for bathroom decoration
Avoid family photos, figurines of Buddha, turtle, or elephant in the bathroom. One can hang photos of flowers, trees, meadows, etc. Do not display photos of waterfalls, rivers or fish. Do not hang prosperity paintings on the toilet wall. Avoid keeping too many candles in the bathroom, as it is a fire element and and the bathroom is the opposite element – water. Do not keep red and orange-colored decorative items in the bathroom. One can use sea shells for decoration in the bathroom. When using decorative lights in the bathroom, ensure that the lighting around the mirror is such that there is no glare on the mirror. According to Vastu, opt for green décor to add a touch of nature – for example, green napkins, towels, mats, curtains, etc.
Can we build bathroom under stairs according to Vastu?
Always remember that according to Vastu, the area under the stairs can only be used for storage purposes. So, while constructing, note that a bathroom should never be built under a staircase. These are some essential Vastu tips for bathroom homeowners should keep in mind.
Where should bathroom be as per Vastu?
The bathroom in a house must be in the north or north-west portion.
What should be the color of bathroom according to Vastu?
Avoid dark colours in the bathroom. Light colours, such as beige and cream, are ideal for the bathroom, as per Vastu Shastra.
What should be the colour of the bucket in the bathroom according to Vastu?
Keep a blue bucket in the bathroom as it brings good luck, as per Vastu. Also, keep the bucket full of water.
(With inputs from Sneha Sharon Mammen and Purnima Goswami Sharma)