Table of Contents
The Visakhapatnam Metropolitan Region Development Authority (VMRDA) was constituted in June 1978, under the Andhra Pradesh Urban Areas (Development) Act, 1975, to take over the responsibilities of the erstwhile Town Planning Trust.
From VUDA to VMRDA
Previously known as the Visakhapatnam Urban Development Authority (VUDA), it was dissolved to form the VMRDA in 2018. While doing so, the state provided the new body more powers to deal with land acquisitions, settlements with farmers and creation of urban assets. While the VUDA worked under the direct supervision of the municipal administration and the urban development authority, the VMRDA is an autonomous body.
Constituted in 1962, the Town Planning Trust body was operating in a limited area of the Visakhapatnam municipal area. The jurisdiction of the VMRDA, on the other hand extends over 1,721 sq kms, which includes the area under the Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation (VMC) and four municipal towns, including Vizianagaram, Bheemunipatnam, Gajuwaka and Anakapalli and 287 villages in 178 gram panchayats.
Objectives of the VMRDA
- Preparation and execution of master plans.
- Coordination of development activities with various agencies and providing infrastructure facilities
- Formulation of sector-specific projects and its implementation.
- Regulation and control of development through statutory plans and other measures.
See also: All about Andhra Pradesh property and land registration
Functions of the VMRDA
- To regulate and enforce the development, as per the plans.
- To prepare the master plan and zonal development plan (ZDP) for the entire Visakhapatnam Metropolitan Region (VMR).
- To coordinate various developmental projects for implementation of the master plan proposals.
- To undertake land acquisition and development.
- To formulate and implement projects for housing infrastructure.
- To achieve planned development by undertaking satellite townships and sites and services.
- To undertake housing projects for various income groups under public housing with the financial assistance of HUDCO.
- To allot houses and plots to various income groups.
Check out properties for sale in Visakhapatnam
- To undertake road-widening schemes and development of new roads.
- To develop commercial complexes, shopping and office complexes.
- To provide infrastructure in the township areas, colonies and layouts undertaken by the VUDA.
- Develop recreational facilities.
- Urban forestry.
(Source: VMRDA website)
The agency is also responsible for coordinating and implementing important urban development plans.
Online services on the VMRDA portal
Citizens can submit online applications for layout plan approval, building plan approval, rental payments, geo-tagging details and venue booking, using the official portal of the VMRDA (http://vmrda.gov.in/). Citizens can also collect information about approved building permits, VMRDA-approved layouts, VMRDA-approved private layouts, road development plans, etc., on the website.
Caution for plot buyers in Visakhapatnam
Do not purchase any plot from layouts that are not approved by the VMRDA. Final layouts approved by the VMRDA with LP number and authentication of the VMRDA, are valid. Do not purchase plots in tentative layouts with BLP number, as it is only a provisional layout. The BLP number is only a provisional permission to develop infrastructure but not a permission to sell the plots. The BLP number can be cancelled, if infrastructure is not developed by the seller.
Also note that a layout plan will only be approved by the VMRDA, if it has the below mentioned facilities:
- WBM roads
- Pucca drains
- Avenue plantation
- Street lighting
- Water supply arrangements
- Provision of public open place
Buyers should contact the planning wing of the VMRDA and call or email on the numbers/ID given below:
Phone: 2754133, 2543213, Fax no: 0891-2754189
VMRDA contact information
Visakhapatnam Metropolitan Region Development Authority,
8th floor, Udyog Bhavan, Siripuram Jn,
Phone: EPBX: 0891-2868200, 0891-2754133/34, 2755155
What is the name of the Visakhapatnam town planning body?
The name of the Visakhapatnam town planning body is the Visakhapatnam Metropolitan Region Development Authority.
When was the Visakhapatnam Metropolitan Region Development Authority established?
The Visakhapatnam Metropolitan Region Development Authority was established in June 1978.
What is LP and BLP number?
LP number is the final approval number given by the VMRDA while the BLP number denotes a provisional permission for infrastructure development.