Table of Contents
For an Indian home, the kitchen is an area that requires not just functionality but design and sleekness too. Using tiles in the kitchen area has become popular in past few years due to the easy maintenance it offers and the vast options available in the market, in terms of designs. Here are some of the most popular kitchen tile designs and other things you should know about:
Types of kitchen tiles
There are three main types of kitchen design tiles:
Also known as non-porcelain, these types of tiles are made of clay. Ceramic tiles are glazed, to create a hard-looking surface. As it is soft, it is easier to install. Due to its glazed nature, the surface resists water splashes and spills. However, these kitchen design tiles are prone to damages.
These types of tiles are made with a mixture of sand and clay. These are harder and denser than ceramic tiles, as they are manufactured under intense heat and pressure conditions. These are also less porous and can withstand tough climatic conditions, including extreme humidity and heat and high traffic areas such as kitchens. These kitchen design tiles are also water-resistant but require high proficiency during installation due to its hardness.
Made of natural stones such as granite and marble, these are the most expensive options, vis-à-vis kitchen design tiles. These are extremely porous and have to be sealed very effectively, to prevent it from wearing out. In fact, it requires sealing in every two-three years. Also, such surfaces require polishing which make it slippery when wet.
See also: Kitchen design ideas for small and large homes
Kitchen flooring tiles catalogue
Kitchen wall tiles design catalogue
Are tiles for a kitchen a good idea?
Tiles are one of the most popular choice for kitchen flooring and walls. These are not just durable and hard but also water-resistant and easier to clean. Tiles can also bear water spills and you do not have to worry about odour and bacteria. Moreover, the kitchen tiles design can be installed and arranged in patterns as per your choice. There are a lot of colours, shapes and styles available in the market which can make your kitchen look more modern and beautiful.
See also: Important kitchen Vastu Shastra tips
Which colour is good for kitchen wall tiles?
The right choice of tile colours can transform the kitchen space by enhancing its overall décor quotient. The use of certain colours can also make the room appear bigger.
Multi-coloured Kitchen Tiles
Multi-coloured tiles can be a great option if you want to give your kitchen a quirky look instead of the traditional design patterns. You can match the colour theme by installing wooden countertop.
Neutral tones like cream, beige, and white are quite popular when it comes to kitchen wall tiles.
Pale green is an excellent colour choice for the kitchen and dining area as it lends a calming look.
Black and White
The black and white combination for the kitchen wall tiles brings a timeless and classy look to the kitchen space. Create a monochromatic theme with this colour combination for any contemporary kitchen space.
Things you should know about kitchen tiles designs
- Tiles can easily resist stains. However, you may need to make sure that tiles have been sealed properly.
- For cleaning a tile surface, you can sweep or dust the floor regularly or wipe the surface with a damp cloth. However, avoid using steel wool and pads as this can damage the upper layer. You can reseal the tiling as and when required.
- As a precautionary measure, you should wipe spills immediately, to avoid staining.
Things you should consider before choosing kitchen tiles
- While the most durable kitchen design tiles are porcelain ones, you can also opt for stone tiles if you have the budget.
- Usually, textured floors are less slippery and they mask the dirt. However, these can be difficult to clean. You can use mats around wet areas to avoid slipping.
- The kitchen design tiles installation will be perfect, only if the floor beneath it is smooth, flat and clean. Usually to level it, a cement tile board is installed to give it a levelled platform.
See also: Trendy wall tile design ideas for Indian homes in 2021
Which tiles are the best for the kitchen?
Depending upon your budget, you can choose any type of tiles which are hard, stain-proof and water-resistant.
How much does a kitchen tile cost?
Depending upon the market, a kitchen tile usually is priced Rs 28 per sq ft onwards.