CPCB stops Ansal Properties’ Sushant Lok Phase 1 project construction work, imposes fine of Rs 14.6 crores

The CPCB has directed Ansal Properties to stop all construction activities in its township project in Gurugram, for the violation of environmental norms and also asked the real estate developer to pay Rs 14.69 crores as compensation

In an order dated June 18, 2019, the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) has held Ansal Properties and Infrastructure guilty of the discharge of untreated waste for 281 days in its 604-acre residential complex at Sushant Lok, Phase 1, in Gurugram. The CPCB directed the chairman of the firm ‘to stop all the construction/ expansion activities in Sushant Lok, Phase 1, Gurugram, with immediate effect’. According to the CPCB, the builder had also encroached upon green areas and was illegally extracting groundwater without a no-objection certificate (NOC) from the Central Ground Water Authority (CGWA). The apex pollution control body directed the real estate developer to pay Rs 14.69 crores as compensation

The company’s spokesperson could not be immediately contacted for comment. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) was also seized of the matter and the CPCB, in pursuance to the NGT’s order, issued directions to the Haryana State Pollution Control Board (HSPCB) and the CGWA, to also separately levy environmental compensation for the violations. The CPCB has also directed the State Environment Impact Assessment Authority (SEIAA), Haryana, to revoke environmental clearances, if granted and also not let Ansal Properties and Infrastructure undertake any expansion activity, till it complied with all the directions.

See also: Jaypee home buyers stage protest at Jantar Mantar, seek Modi’s intervention

The pollution control body also asked the Haryana Electricity Board to stop power supply for any further expansion of the residential complex. The builder was asked to submit an action plan to the CPCB ‘regarding rectification of shortcomings… action taken report be submitted along with necessary documentary evidences.’

 


NGT directs CPCB to issue directions, for the closure of Ansal Properties’ Sushant Lok-Phase I in Gurugram

The NGT has directed the pollution board to issue directions for the closure of Ansal Properties’ Sushant Lok-Phase I residential complex in Gurugram, noting that the project was constructed without the requisite environmental clearance

January 16, 2019: The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has directed the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) to launch prosecution and issue directions, for the closure of Ansal Properties and Infrastructure Ltd’s Sushant Lok-Phase I residential complex in Gurugram, for violation of environmental norms.

The green panel also directed the apex pollution monitoring body to exercise its statutory power, to determine and recover the damages from the project proponent, as per the procedure prescribed under the Air Act and the Water Act.

See also: Central government finally unveils National Clean Air Programme

A bench headed by NGT chairperson justice Adarsh Kumar Goel, noted that the project had been constructed without taking consent to operate under the Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act and Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act and without requisite environmental clearance. “Rainwater harvesting system has not been provided and ground water has been extracted, without the requisite NOC (no-objection certificate) from the CGWA (Central Ground Water Authority). Sewage is meeting the storm water drain. Maintenance is not up to the mark, Construction and Demolition Waste Management Rules, 2016 have not been complied with. DG (diesel generator) sets are operating without stack height,” the bench, also comprising justice SP Wangdi, noted. “In spite of the above, part-completion certificate has been granted by the Town and Country Planning Department, Haryana,” it said.

The tribunal also said the CPCB will be at liberty to coordinate with the concerned authorities, including the CGWA and the state pollution control board. It also said that an action plan be submitted to the tribunal within three months by e-mail. On September 19, 2018, the tribunal had directed a joint committee, comprising officials from the Town and Country Planning Department, Haryana, Delhi School of Planning and Architecture, Central Ground Water Authority and State Environment Impact Assessment Authority, to furnish a factual report. The tribunal’s direction came on a plea filed by Praveen Kakar and others, alleging encroachment of parks in green areas in Block C of Sushant Lok, Phase I, Gurugram.

He also alleged illegal extraction and supply of contaminated ground water, besides the absence of water harvesting system. “The sewerage of the area connects the storm water drain. There is requirement to leave 45 per cent of land for roads, open spaces, schools, public common uses in terms of Clause 4(1) of the Haryana Development and Regulation of Urban Areas Rules, 1976,” the plea had said.

 

Was this article useful?
  • 😃 (1)
  • 😐 (0)
  • 😔 (0)

Comments

comments