No stopping sealing, demolition of unauthorised constructions in Delhi: SC


The Supreme Court has categorically ruled out any stoppage of the ongoing sealing drive in Delhi and asked the centre to consider blacklisting those who are responsible for unauthorised constructions

The Supreme Court, on July 18, 2018, said there would be ‘no stopping of sealing or demolition’ of unauthorised constructions in Delhi. The apex court’s direction came, after the centre told a bench comprising justices MB Lokur and Deepak Gupta that it had not given any instructions to authorities in Delhi, to stop their sealing drive against illegal constructions. The bench also directed that construction activity be stopped with immediate effect, wherever any unauthorised construction is noticed or booked by the authorities.

See also: Government notifies amendments in Delhi’s Master Plan

The apex court said adequate police protection should be given to officials, when they are carrying out a sealing drive against unauthorised constructions. Besides, the bench asked the centre to contemplate blacklisting of builders, contractors and architects found responsible for unauthorised constructions.

Attorney general KK Venugopal told the bench that the Delhi Development Authority had launched a mobile application on July 9, 2018, where citizens could complain about illegal constructions and encroachments in the city. So far, 431 complaints have been received in the mobile application and action taken on 138 such complaints, he said. The Supreme Court directed that adequate publicity be given to the mobile application so that citizens of Delhi become aware of it.

The top court is dealing with the issue of validity of the Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Act, 2006 and subsequent legislations, which protect unauthorised constructions from being sealed.

 

Was this article useful?
  • 😃 (0)
  • 😐 (0)
  • 😔 (0)

Comments

comments