Table of Contents
- GST portal login registration
- GST portal login: How to register on portal?
- Documents for GST registration
- GST portal login procedure
- GST portal login: Payments
- GST portal login e-Way bill
- GST portal login: Other services
- GST login portal: How to file returns?
- GST portal offline tools and forms
- GST statistics
- GST login: Help and taxpayer facilities
- e-invoice on GST portal
- GST portal login search taxpayer
- GST law
- GST Portal: Other information available online
The Goods and Services Tax (GST) system introduced in 2017 in India, has brought several state and central taxes under one umbrella. The new system ensures more transparency, owing to the digital support available for taxpayers. From GST registration to filing GST returns, everything can be done online now. It will minimise paperwork and speed up the administrative procedures while doing away with the need to make personal visits to the tax department. The website https://www.gst.gov.in/ is the official GST login portal by the government.
The online platform, known as the GSTN portal, enables taxpayers to submit various applications and file their returns online. Here is a complete guide on how to use the GST government www gst gov in login portal.
Check out our guide on e way bill login
GST portal login registration
The website www.gst.gov.in dashboard is displayed on the screen after users log in to the GST portal.
One can find various services and online facilities on the main GST portal login page as shown below:
Also read all about GST on flat purchase
GST portal login: How to register on portal?
The GST registration is based on the annual turnover of a business. It is applicable for businesses engaged in supply of goods having a turnover exceeding Rs 40 lakhs in the previous financial year. For service providers, the limit is Rs 20 lakhs. The exemption limit for northeastern and hilly states is Rs 10 lakhs.
Here’s the goods and services tax portal login registration procedure:
Individuals and businesses that should register themselves under GST mandatorily, can complete the process online. Once the registration is done, a 15-digit GSTIN or Goods and Services Tax Identification Number is generated.
Step 1: Visit the https://www.gst.gov.in/ login portal. Go to the ‘Services’ tab and click on ‘New Registration’ under ‘Registration’. The www.gst.gov.in home page is shown below.
Step 2: On the next page of the gst gov login website, provide details, including the type of personal profile (e.g., usual taxpayer, non-resident taxable person, etc.), state, district, business name, PAN, e-mail and mobile number. Click on ‘Proceed’.
Step 3: On the next page of the www.gst.gov.in login, provide the OTP sent to your e-mail ID and mobile number. Click on ‘proceed’.
Step 4: The Temporary Reference Number (TRN) will be displayed on the screen.
Step 5: Go to the GST online login home page. Click ‘Register Now’ under ‘Taxpayers’.
Step 6: Use the ‘TRN’ this time and click on ‘Proceed’.
Step 7: Provide the OTPs you have received on your e-mail ID and mobile number.
Step 8: You can edit your application and upload relevant documents.
Step 9: Go to the ‘Verification’ page and check the declaration. Submit the application using any of the given methods – Electronic Verification Code (EVC), e-Sign method or Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) for companies.
Step 10: After successfully submitting the application, an Application Reference Number (ARN) is sent to the registered e-mail ID and mobile number. Using this number, users can check their application status.
See also: Types of GST: All about CGST, SGST, IGST
Documents for GST registration
- PAN card
- Aadhaar card
- Valid business address proofs
- Latest bank account statements and cancelled cheque
- Incorporation certificate/proof of business registration
- Digital signature
- Identity proof, address proof and photographs of the director/promoter
- Authorisation letter/board resolution from authorised signatory
GST portal login procedure
Visit the official GSTN portal and click on the ‘Login’ option provided at the top right corner. Enter the new GST login credentials like username and password to view the dashboard.
Those signing into the GST portal online for the first time should click on ‘here’ provided in the option below ‘If you have already created your username and password, click here to log in’ on the www gst gov in login page.
Then, submit Provisional ID/GSTIN/UIN and password sent to the e-mail id.
Provide your new username and password. Click on ‘Submit’. Then, go to the login page and enter your new GST portal login password credentials.
After successfully logging into the website, users can view the www.gst.gov.in login dashboard and access their profiles, notices, and orders. The option to file returns and create a tax payment challan is also available.
Also read all about GST on construction and building materials
GST portal login: Payments
The next option on the GST online login page is ‘Payment’. A registered taxpayer can go to this section on the www.gst.gov.in login portal to create a challan and make e-payments. Here, one can also find the options of ‘Track Payment Status’ and ‘Grievance Against Payment (GST PMT 07).
GST portal login e-Way bill
In the GST e-Way Bill system, also known as electronic waybill system, an electronic bill is generated on the portal used to track the movement of goods from one location to another. Transporters must carry the e-Way Bill, while transporting goods if every consignment value is Rs 50,000 or above.
One can login to GST portal and click on the ‘e-Way Bill System’ option under ‘Services’.
Here, one can find FAQs related to the e-Way Bill System to get more information. Users can click on the relevant link to go to the e-Way Bill portal, where one can find various options, including e-Way Bill registration. When an e-Way Bill is generated on the portal https //www.gst.gov.in login, the user is given a unique e-Way Bill Number (EBN). The transporter, recipient and supplier will receive a unique e-way bill or EBN allocated to them.
Users are required to provide the following details or documents:
- Invoice or bill of supply challan of the goods consignment
- Transporter ID or vehicle number in case the transportation of consignment is by road
- Transporter ID, transport document number and date on the document in case the transportation of consignment is by rail, ship or air
Prior to the implementation of the GST, the generation of waybills were done through state-specific portals, subject to the specified state rules.
GST portal login: Other services
The GST government login portal provides different user services with quick links for:
- Search HSN Code
- Holiday list
- Cause list
- Locate GST practitioner (GSTP)
- Generate user ID for unregistered applicant
There is also an option of ‘refunds’ provided under the ‘Services’ tab. One can use this provision to check the refund application status.
Check out our guide on GST search and GST verification
GST login portal: How to file returns?
Traders, services providers and manufacturers are required to register under GST for filing their returns. There are 11 types of returns for various purposes and with due date. One can access the GST portal and login and file GST returns anywhere in India. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Complete the GST registration and login procedure
- After login, click on ‘Services’
- Then, click on ‘Returns dashboard’. Select the financial year and return filing period from the dropdown
- Choose the return and click on ‘Prepare online’
- Submit all the details, including amount and late fee if any
- Click on ‘Save’. The success message will appear on the screen.
- Then, click ‘Submit’ to file the returns
- After the status changes to submitted, click on ‘Payment of tax’. And, click on ‘Check balance’ to check the cash and credit balance.
- Mention the credit amount to clear your liabilities. Click on ‘offset liability’ for GST payment online on GST login portal. Click on ‘OK’
- Click on the declaration check box. Select the authorised signatory from the dropdown. Click on ‘File form with DSC’ or ‘File form with EVC’. Click on ‘Proceed’.
- Complete the GST online payment on the login portal.
GST portal offline tools and forms
The official portal for GST https://www.gst.gov.in/ login page provides taxpayers with some offline tools to enable them to follow offline procedures for filing GST returns. The utility of GST forms and returns gives them offline access.
The same ‘Downloads’ tab also shows the ‘GST Statistics’ link to view the statistics for different financial years.
GST login: Help and taxpayer facilities
Under the ‘Help and Taxpayer Facilities’, a taxpayer can find several user manuals, videos, FAQs related to GST, different services, and facilities provided to them. Also, one can find press releases and a list of advisories on new functionalities available on the portal. There is a link to the grievance redressal portal where taxpayers and other stakeholders can submit their complaints. Among other taxpayer services, one can find a list of GST Suvidha Providers (GSPs) and free accounting and billing services.
e-invoice on GST portal
The latest tab on the GST government login portal gives users access to an e-invoice portal.
GST portal login search taxpayer
To check taxpayers’ details or GSTINs registered under PAN, one can search a taxpayer on the GSTN portal using any one of the two options mentioned under the ‘Search Taxpayer’ tab:
- Search by GSTIN/UIN
- Search by PAN
The other options available on www gst gov in portal under ‘Search Taxpayer’ includes the link to search taxpayer who has opted in or out of the composition scheme. One needs to search by entering GSTIN/UIN details or search by state from where registration was done.
Under this section on the www.gst.gov.in portal, users will find several links to the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) and states or UTs commercial tax websites. The links host CGST act and rules, SGST act and rules and other acts and relevant GST rules. One can check the latest notifications, amendments and circulars on GST.
GST Portal: Other information available online
The other sections on the gst.gov.in portal are mentioned below:
- Under News – Updates section, users can check the latest news on GST, including any change in due dates, GSTN system updates and any change in the filing processes.
- This portal allows users can register as taxpayer or GST Practitioner under GST by going to the Register/Find a Taxpayer/GST Practitioner section and access the search tool through which one can search taxpayers or locate GST practitioner.
- They can also check the Popular Help Topics section and read about frequently asked questions.
- Under the Important Dates section on the www gst gov my login portal, users will find information on GST returns deadlines, changes in dates, etc.
Can I access GST portal from outside India?
The official GST login portal cannot be accessed by users on networks outside India.
How do I access my GST dashboard?
A user needs to register on the GST portal and log in to view the dashboard.