Table of Contents
- What is a west facing house?
- Main gates in west-facing homes
- Vastu tips for position of rooms in a west-facing house
- Vastu tips for west facing house
- Wall colours vastu for west facing house
- Plants that are best for a west facing house /garden
- Who are suitable for west facing houses?
- West facing house vastu plan: Dos and don’ts
In a bid to usher in success and positive energy at home, home buyers may often make choices that may seem peculiar. For example, some may believe that only an east facing house Vastu is good, or want north-facing bedrooms or a children’s room in the east. In fact, west-facing homes are less preferred, because they are perceived as unlucky and inauspicious, which is a common misconception. Vastu Shastra experts maintain that all directions are equal and come with certain limitations that one should be aware of, so that positivity flows in the home without any hindrance. So, is west facing house good for you? Here are a few Vastu rules that you should know.
See also: Vastu tips for positive energy at home
What is a west facing house?
If the main entrance in your home or flat faces the west, it is considered a west-facing home. Usually, west-facing homes are not considered auspicious but Vastu experts maintain otherwise.
Main gates in west-facing homes
According to Shaktikanta Desai, a senior Vastu consultant at AtoZ Associates, the main doors of west-facing homes should be slightly towards the north-west or in the middle. South-west direction should be completely avoided, for placing the main door.
If you divide the length, from the north-west corner to south-west corner in nine equal parts or pada, with the first one in the north-west and the ninth one in the south-west, the fifth and sixth pada will be the best ones for the main door. Home owners should completely avoid the seventh, eighth and ninth padas for the entrance in west facing house as per vastu, as it is considered the corner of devil’s energy.
Vastu tips for position of rooms in a west-facing house
In a west-facing house, the children’s room can be planned in the south, west or north-west areas, whereas, the guest room can be in the north-west. According to Vastu, puja room and living room should be in the north-east of the house, as it is the most auspicious corner.
See also: North east facing house Vastu tips
For the master bedroom, the south-west direction is preferred, as per Vastu rules for a west facing flat. If you have a multi-level house, your master bedroom should be on the top floor. For the kitchen, opt for the south-east corner.
Also, as per Vastu, the kitchen should not be directly under or over the puja room, bedroom, or toilet. Choose southeast or northwest zones for the kitchen. Ideally, southeast corner is best for the kitchen.
The kids’ room should be in the south, west or northwest direction.
Vastu tips for west facing house
Anokhi Mehra from Vastu Designs, a Bhopal-based consultancy, shares some Vastu Shastra tips for west facing homes that every household should keep in mind:
- Avoid buying a plot which is higher in the north than in the south. However, a plot which slopes from south to north, is considered auspicious.
- Avoid having the bore-well or water pump in the south-west corner.
- Avoid buying a flat with an extension in the south-west.
- The walls in the south and west corner must be thicker and higher than in the east and north.
- If you have the main entrance in the south-west portion, you should consult experts for nullifying this defect, with the use of gems such as sapphire, earth crystals, etc.
- The total number of doors and windows in the house should be even.
- The west direction is good for the dining room, overhead water tank, children’s room, study room and toilet.
Wall colours vastu for west facing house
According to the Vastu, the ideal colours for west-facing houses are white, silver, yellow and beige. Since these colours are neutral tones, they are perfect for households that want to focus on enhancing positive energy coming from the west. However, if the house is spread more towards the west than any other direction, then, a light shade of blue can also be considered, to get more benefits of the west direction. Other shades that you can choose include off-white and cream as these are Vastu-neutral colours. Try not to overwhelm your west facing home with too many bright tones.
Plants that are best for a west facing house
If you have a west-facing garden or home, your plants will receive very little sunlight in the mornings. Also, plants in a west-facing garden must be able to withstand the afternoon heat and summer heat. Moreover, shade-loving plants are far less likely to thrive. Here are some plants which will flourish in west-facing gardens.
Tulips: These are a staple of west-facing gardens. You can plant tulip bulbs in autumn and you will see dazzling colours, when spring comes around.
Roses: Since there are over 300 species of rose and thousands of cultivars, you can pick any variety, from shrub roses to rambling roses for the west-facing garden.
Daffodils: These are easy to grow and relatively inexpensive. Daffodils are also planted in autumn and take many months to develop roots, before the flowers burst into life during spring.
Who are suitable for west facing houses?
All vastu-complaint houses are considered good. However, astrology and one’s nature of job will help in determining whether a west facing house Vastu plan benefits them or not. The west direction is ruled by the planet Saturn. The element of west direction is space – that is known to be infinite. They are likely to involve themselves for the greater good and help others. West facing flat in Vastu is ideal for professionals like lawyers, doctors, nurses, chefs, detectives, financial advisors, teachers, artists and gardeners.
The residents of a west facing house will tend to be engaged in jobs that give them satisfaction and fulfilment rather than just the position or designation. Thus, west facing apartment, as per vastu shastra, is also ideal for social workers.
West facing house vastu plan: Dos and don’ts
- Construct the walls in the south and west corner slightly thicker and higher than that on the east and north side.
- When designing a west faced house, as per Vastu, one can place the main door of the house in the third or fourth padas.
- As per west facing apartment Vastu guidelines, if the land plot is sloped, ensure that it is inclined from the south to the north direction.
- Avoid building the house on a plot that is sloped from north to south as it can lead to financial losses. Similarly, avoid the plot if there is an extension in southwest or south direction.
Are west-facing flats good?
Vastu experts say that all directions are equal and come with certain limitations that one should be aware of, so that positivity energies flow in the home without any hindrance.
Is west facing main door good?
The main doors of west facing homes should be slightly towards the north-west corner or in the middle.
What are the advantages of west facing house?
West facing homes have proven to be prosperous for people who like to socialise. People who are politicians, teachers, religious leaders or businessmen should prefer staying in the west-facing house.
Is West entrance good as per Vastu?
Yes, main door entrance is good in West direction only if it is exactly in the middle or towards the north-west corner.