In a bid to usher in success and positive energy at home, home buyers may often make choices that may seem peculiar. For example, some may only want an east-facing home, or north-facing bedrooms or a children’s room in the east. In fact, west-facing homes are less preferred, because they are perceived as unlucky and inauspicious, which is a common misconception. Vastu Shastra experts maintain that all directions are equal and come with certain limitations that one should be aware of, so that positivity flows in the home without any hindrance.
Main gates in west-facing homes
According to Shaktikanta Desai, a senior Vastu consultant at AtoZ Associates, the main doors of west-facing homes should be slightly towards the north-west or in the middle. South-west direction should be completely avoided, for placing the main door.
If you divide the length, from the north-west corner to south-west corner in nine equal parts or pada, with the first one in the north-west and the ninth one in the south-west, the fifth and sixth pada will be the best ones for the main door. Home owners should completely avoid the seventh, eighth and ninth padas for the entrance, as it is considered the corner of devil’s energy.
Position of rooms in a west-facing house
In a west-facing house, the children’s room can be planned in the south, west or north-west areas, whereas, the guest room can be in the north-west. The puja room and living room should be in the north-east of the house, as it is the most auspicious corner. For the master bedroom, the south-west direction is preferred. If you have a multi-level house, your master bedroom should be on the top floor. For the kitchen, opt for the south-east corner. Also, the kitchen should not be directly under or over the puja room, bedroom, or toilet.
General Vastu Shastra tips
Anokhi Mehra from Vastu Designs, a Bhopal-based consultancy, shares some Vastu Shastra tips for west-facing homes that every household should keep in mind:
- Avoid buying a plot which is higher in the north than in the south. However, a plot which slopes from south to north, is considered auspicious.
- Avoid having the bore-well or water pump in the south-west corner.
- Avoid buying a flat with an extension in the south-west.
- The walls in the south and west corner must be thicker and higher than in the east and north.
- If you have the main entrance in the south-west portion, you should consult experts for nullifying this defect, with the use of gems such as sapphire, earth crystals, etc.
- The total number of doors and windows in the house should be even.
- The west direction is good for the dining room, overhead water tank, children’s room, study room and toilet.