Table of Contents
Archways are a splendid work of architecture that can add elegance and beauty to any structure. If you are planning to construct your own house, it is important that you think about including arch design features, besides other design aspects.
Arch design for home entrance
An arch in the hallway is the easiest solution to make your home look stylish. The Roman arch is a classic arch design, the beauty of which will stay forever. Choose this design for an alluring effect on your home entrance.
Arch design for hall or living room
The perfect arches for the living room can be a wooden dome or a glass archway with intricate designs. You can also choose a Mediterranean architecture-inspired arch built in stone for the living room and match it with a simple chandelier.
See also: Ideal living room colour combinations
Arch design for dining hall
Arches can help create a focal point in the dining hall. A semi-circular arch for the dining space can be incorporated for a simple, yet, elegant look. You can bring a luxurious feel with an arched French window that will also allow sunlight into the room.
Arch design for kitchen
An archway for the kitchen area can serve as a comfortable breakfast space, an in-built storage area, or a link to the adjoining room in a unique way. You can use a traditional design in an all-white hue. Alternatively, you can build an arch with an opening if it is a closed-kitchen space.
Arch design for bedroom
Arched panels with plush finishes, on the bed and window recess, are sure to create a royal look. Stone-framed arches can be another design style that can give the décor of the bedroom a traditional touch, especially if it is complemented with light colours in the background.
Arch design for bathroom
Extend the arch theme to your bathroom décor by installing a glass arch-shaped shower screen. You can also create an arch-shaped colour block on a wall, or deck up a wall with an arch mirror, or even choose an arch-shaped ceramic sink.
Arch design for balcony
Outdoor spaces like a patio or a balcony are an essential extension of modern homes. An arched porch brings a classic vibe to a contemporary-style house. This design blends well with the overall façade of the house.
See also: Tips for a beautiful balcony garden
Type of arch designs
Archways create a sense of open space. You can rely on a few materials for designing arches and achieving a magnificent look for your interiors.
Arch design with tiles
Designing an archway with tiles adds an opulent look to your abode. Choose statement colours to highlight the interior features.
Arch design with wood
You can turn a dull doorway into a welcoming space with wooden arches. Wood is a versatile design element that can make your home’s interiors appear luxurious.
Arch design with glass
The use of glass in contemporary architecture is widely seen these days. Artistically designed glass arches with a combination of wood can be a perfect addition to any dining space.
Arch design with POP
Plaster of Paris (POP) designs for arches are gaining popularity. You can design an arched pillar combined with a POP ceiling, to magnify the beauty of your home.
Tips for choosing colours for arch designs
When arches form a link between two rooms, it can be tricky to decide a colour for the arch. So, when picking the right colour for an arch, it is essential to see if it blends with the décor style of the room.
- Neutral shades, such as off-white, grey, or beige, are ideal for large archways connecting different rooms, which suit the décor theme of both rooms.
- A combination of blue and white can bring a refreshing look to any living space and that is true for archways, too.
- For arches linking the kitchen and the living room, you may choose a prominent colour for the living room and the archway while using a complementary shade for the kitchen area.
- You can also consider a three-colour palette for the multiple rooms connected with the arch. However, make sure it creates a sense of visual balance between the rooms.
- You can pick a neutral colour for the underside of the arch, for large archways. Alternatively, you can paint it in a completely different colour, for a more dramatic effect and create a sharp border between the different living spaces.
- If you want to create an accent or a focal point for your living space, paint the room walls in a single neutral tone and the one with the archway in a richer and brighter shade that makes the architectural details more prominent.
What is the meaning of an arch?
Arch is a design element used in the construction of homes, which is a curved structure with straight sides, created to support a structure.
What materials can be used for arch design?
Arch designs can be constructed with tiles, wood, glass, or POP (Plaster of Paris).