Table of Contents
In order to provide planned development to the state capital of Odisha, the state government constituted the Bhubaneswar Development Authority in 1983. Since then, the Authority has been making efforts, towards ensuring urban growth and effective monitoring of developments through a people-centric approach. The BDA also prepares the development plan for micro-level planning.
Role and mission of the BDA
- To prepare a comprehensive development plan for area development, zonal development plan and town planning schemes.
- Developing housing and urban infrastructure, to provide quality standard of living to the residents.
- Ensuring environmental development in the urban areas.
- Controlling encroachment of government land and ensuring adherence to building regulations.
- Creating a land bank for urban development and affordable housing.
- Maintaining a grievance cell and ensuring speedy disposal of pending cases. This also includes prescribing time limits for various transactions.
- Monitoring the tatkal scheme for issue of building permission within 15 days.
According to the official BDA’s website:
“The Bhubaneswar Development Authority aims to transform the temple city Bhubaneswar to a world-class, liveable urban centre with more green cover, adequate public places and especially quality infrastructure-based suitable alternatives for all kinds of citizens, irrespective of age and gender.”
See also: All about RERA Odisha
Major projects by the BDA
Being implemented as part of Bhubaneswar Smart City, Bhubaneswar One is a map-based web application that will integrate geo-spatial data from government and private organisations for facilitating authentic information, such as revenue, village boundaries, plot boundaries, CDP map, locations, ward information, public services, different tourist sites and much more.
Complete street project
The BDA has identified 120 kms of road network, for implementing the complete street design project. Under this project, the streets would be planned for better distribution of road space for all user groups, such as pedestrians, cyclists, public transport and motor vehicles. It would also ensure planned integration of underground/overground utilities, signage, bus shelters, etc.
Check out price trends in Bhubaneswar
Heritage signage project
The Heritage Signage Guidelines for the Ekamra Kshetra Heritage Zone has been drafted by the BDA, with an aim to provide clear, concise information about the heritage monuments, which are relevant, aesthetically pleasing and consistent for all heritage sites. This will help promote a unified and attractive appearance for all facilities and eliminate inconsistent, ineffective and unnecessary signs.
BDA helpline number
Citizens can reach out to the BDA in case of any queries or grievances on the following helpline numbers:
Toll free: 1800 345 0061
Landline: 0674 2548295
BDA office address
Akash Shova Building, Sachivalaya Marg, Bhubaneswar, Odisha 751001
Check out properties for sale in Bhubaneswar
Who is the vice-chairman of BDA?
Prem Chandra Chaudhary is the vice-chairman of the BDA.
What does BDA stand for?
BDA stands for the Bhubaneswar Development Authority.
When was the BDA established?
The Bhubaneswar Development Authority was established in 1983.