Andheri, in the western suburbs of Mumbai, has emerged as an important hub for commercial and residential properties. The locality is divided into two parts – east and west. Andheri west is primarily a residential area. Besides one, two and three-BHKs, it now also has luxurious premium projects. While Andheri east is primarily known for the MIDC, SEEPZ, IT hubs and commercial spaces, it is now witnessing steady growth in housing projects. Andheri is one of the largest areas of Mumbai and is well-connected to other parts of the city, including other western suburbs, the central suburbs (through metro railway) and south Mumbai (through buses and local trains).
Real estate in Andheri east
“Andheri railway station is one of the busiest stations in Mumbai. Andheri is situated close to the domestic and international airports. The demand for commercial spaces here, is also due to its good connectivity to the eastern parts of the city through the Andheri-Kurla Road and Jogeshwari-Vikhroli Link Road (JVLR). Andheri east is an appealing destination, from an investment angle. Commercial spaces, including media houses, the IT/ITeS sector, logistics offices and pharmaceutical companies, all are present here. The major occupants in this micro-market are concentrated along the Andheri-Kurla Road,” explains Anuj Puri, chairman, ANAROCK Property Consultants.
Some of the important sub localities here are Marol, Tunga Village, Gundavali, Sahar Village and Subhash Nagar. Andheri east is an important business district of Mumbai and it houses several MNCs and other commercial establishments, in areas like Saki Naka, Mumbai Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) and Santacruz Electronic and Export Promotion Zone (SEEPZ). Areas like Marol, Saki Naka, Chakala, Jogeshwari-Vikhroli Link Road, Chandivali and Powai, also have ample residential growth.
Real estate in Andheri west
Andheri west, which has always been a sought-after residential area, enjoys good connectivity through the Western Express Highway stretching from Bandra to Dahisar, the Link Road and Jai Prakash Road. Swami Vivekananda Road, which stretches from north to south, has also contributed to the development of residential areas. Besides this, it is also connected through the Andheri and Jogeshwari railway stations on the Western Line of the Mumbai suburban railway network.
Andheri west has various housing projects for the middle and higher income groups.
It is adjacent to the posh Juhu area and has premium localities like Lokhandwala Complex. Andheri west is also witnessing several redevelopment projects, in recent years. “Andheri west has a glam quotient associated with it. It boasts of having various entertainment and dining options and a vibrant night life. The metro rail has eased traffic congestion and connectivity has improved. From a time, when this region mostly had standalone buildings, now, Andheri west has an increasing number of gated communities and luxurious housing complexes,” states Kaizad Hateria, brand custodian and chief customer delight officer, Rustomjee Group.
Andheri west not only attracts real estate buyers, but also people who want to rent properties. Some of the important areas in Andheri west are Lokhandwala Complex, Four Bungalows and Seven Bungalows. It is also a preferred destination for Bollywood and television artists.
Amenities and infrastructure in Andheri
- Andheri west has various film and television studios, editing studios and centres for production and post-production, such as Balaji Telefilms, Sony Entertainment and NDTV.
- There are a number of shopping options and cinema houses in Andheri, such as Infinity Mall, Star Bazar, Fun Republic, Carnival PVR and large number of pubs, restaurants, cafes, etc.
- Andheri has the Kokilaben Hospital, Brahma Kumari Hospital and Holy Spirit Hospital and Criticare.
- Andheri has various schools belonging to the state board, central board and even international board, as well as colleges for engineering and management studies, such as the Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Technology, Bhavans College, SP Jain Institute of Management, etc.
Following information courtesy Jones Lang LaSalle Property Consultants (India) Pvt Ltd:
Metro rail projects in Andheri
- Mumbai Metro Phase 1 (Versova-Ghatkopar), which became operational in June 2014, connects Andheri east and west.
- Work on the Mumbai Metro Line 2A (Dahisar-DN Nagar) began in November 2016 and this line is expected to be operational in 2019.
- Work on the Mumbai Metro Line 7 (Dahisar east-Andheri east-Western Express Highway) began in September 2016 and this line is expected to be operational in 2019.
Property prices in Andheri
|Capital values in Andheri east (Rs per sq ft)||11,300||13,388||15,060||15,453||15,740||16,300||16,300|
|Capital values in Andheri west (Rs per sq ft)||15,500||16,790||17,700||18,000||18,100||18,230||18,230|
|Andheri east (percentage change)||18.5||12.5||2.6||1.9||3.6||0.0|
|Andheri west (percentage change)||8.3||5.4||1.7||0.6||0.7||0.0|