Owners of residential properties in Gurugram, are liable to pay property tax to the Municipal Corporation of Gurugram (MCG) every year. The MCG follows a simple system for property tax calculation that mainly takes into account the size and use of the property.
How to calculate property tax for a residential property in Gurugram
The tax payable on properties in Gurugram is based on two factors – area and use (residential/non-commercial and commercial). The MCG has provided the following guidelines, to calculate property tax for residential properties:
|Area (in sq yards)||Rate (in Rs per sq yard)|
|Up to 300 sq yards||Rs 1 per sq yard|
|301 to 500 sq yards||Rs 4 per sq yard|
|501 to 1,000 sq yards||Rs 6 per sq yard|
|1,001 sq yards to 2 acres||Rs 7 per sq yard|
|More than 2 acres||Rs 10 per sq yard|
Property tax on vacant land (residential):
|Plot size||Rate (in Rs per sq yard)|
|Up to 100 sq yards||Exempted|
|101-500 sq yards||Rs 0.50 per sq yard|
|501 sq yards and above||Re 1 per sq yard|
Rebates for payment of property tax
- 100 per cent rebate is given to owners of self-occupied residential houses, who are serving defence/paramilitary force personnel and ex-service/ex-paramilitary force personnel or his/her spouse. This rebate is also applicable to families of deceased soldiers/ex-servicemen/ex-central paramilitary forces personnel, provided they do not have any other residential property in the state of Haryana and are residing in the property themselves and have not let out any portion of the house.
- 100 per cent rebate is given to owners of self-occupied residential houses, who are freedom fighters or his/her spouse and war widows.
- 100 per cent rebate is given to owners of vacant plots of 1 acre and above, that are used for horticulture/agriculture.
- A one-time rebate of 30 per cent is given to property owners, who clear their property tax dues within 45 days of notification of the rates.
- 10 per cent rebate is given to property owners who pay their total tax amount before July 31.
Paying your property tax
The best way to make your property tax payment is online, on the MCG website. When you enter your unique Property ID number or your name and address, you will be shown the amount that you need to pay. You can make this payment through internet banking, or with your debit/credit card.
The MCG also provides a self-assessment property tax form, in which you can follow the guidelines mentioned for each type of property and ascertain the amount that you need to pay. You can also pay your property tax manually at any of the MCG’s Citizen Facilitation Centres.